• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I get the below when I press in my bullets. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

20230204_165348.jpg
    20230204_170108.jpg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Increase your belling adjustment.

Or, the bullets aren't going into the seating die in proper alignment. A different seating plug may be required.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I agree with flare. By chance are you using a lee die set and not using the powder die? It give the flare before seating the bullet. If you skipped the die because you are using a single stage press and a desk powder thrower the mouth of the case is not getting flared wide enough.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Increase the flaring (belling) and a little chamfering would help also
    Second the Lyman "M" Die use it for cast lead bullets / copper plated bullet

Some times not always a little chamfer to create a "beveled" lip instead of
    square flat lip helps, plus by doing such you may not need as much flaring
    (belling)

-Rock

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    is the shaved ring 360° or only on one side? If its only on one side, is it always the same side?
    if its all round chamfer & bell more.if its one side & always the same one check your press alignment.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    I use RCBS Cowboy dies for oversized lead bullets because I was having the same issue with regular dies. For instance, in loading 38-55 lead bullets sized at 380 to 381 for a Marlin 1893 bore where they should be 376-378 I found lead shavings using regular dies.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I use an M die or Noe expanders in a universal expander die when loading casts or coated cast bullets. You need enough flare/bell to allow the bullet to sit comfortably in the case on it's own or it will shave like you are seeing. I use a progressive press and if you don't expand the case mouth enough, the bullet will fall as the turret moves. The powder funnel in my Dillon powder dropper can also handle this task in most cases with the proper funnel setup.

Noe offers a full selection of expanders if you are loading single stage and they work fine in a lee expanding die.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I agree with flare. By chance are you using a lee die set and not using the powder die? It give the flare before seating the bullet. If you skipped the die because you are using a single stage press and a desk powder thrower the mouth of the case is not getting flared wide enough.

Actually, yes. I was testing the Lee bullet feeder (old style) so I skipped everything and went right to the seating die to check the action of the feeder. These are test runs no primer, no powder. I'll run it through the powder die and see if that fixes it.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    is the shaved ring 360° or only on one side? If its only on one side, is it always the same side?
    if its all round chamfer & bell more.if its one side & always the same one check your press alignment.

It is almost 360 but not quite. This is brand new Lee 6-pack press. I will check the alignment after I do another test run with the powder drop die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom