• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Hey all

Been a while since I've posted here. My father inlaw passed away a while back amd my mother inlaw found some of his rifles. I've been able to ID all of them but this one. Best I can tell it looks like an older single shell shotgun
    20230126_221804~2.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It looks a lot like a Hopkins & Allen falling block shotgun - the shape of the action is right, but the contouring doesn't match most of the ones I've seen online, although they changed it here and there it would seem.

Edit - found this. This looks a lot like the one in your pic:

HopkinsAllenFallingBlockShotgun.PNG

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    It looks a lot like a Hopkins & Allen falling block shotgun - the shape of the action is right, but the contouring doesn't match most of the ones I've seen online, although they changed it here and there it would seem.

Edit - found this. This looks a lot like the one in your pic:

View attachment 398465
    Thanks for the info!

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Yeah, if its the same stuff I've found. My mother-in-law also ended up with a Remington model 700 (her husband won in it in an NRA raffle years ago) thats never been fired and a Ruger 22L rifle (not sure of the model). She wants to transfer them to me so I am calling MSP today to get details for her.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yeah, if its the same stuff I've found. My mother-in-law also ended up with a Remington model 700 (her husband won in it in an NRA raffle years ago) thats never been fired and a Ruger 22L rifle (not sure of the model). She wants to transfer them to me so I am calling MSP today to get details for her.
    Just take those long guns to your local FFL and have them arrange the transfer. MSP doesn't get involved in long gun purchases/transfers.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Well if they shoot, they are okay for some types of hunting, so there is that. :)
    Yup!
    Just take those long guns to your local FFL and have them arrange the transfer. MSP doesn't get involved in long gun purchases/transfers.
    Ahh OK, good to know. I was reading online last night and the information is all over the place for transfer to in-laws

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here's another pic of a Hopkins & Allen shotgun that looks very similar to the one in your pic.

27593015_7.jpg

I'm not saying you should do this - I'm certainly not advocating this - but IMO there's no reason to put paperwork on a gun that previously has no modern paperwork or footprint in any state system. Hypothetically, of course. Besides, I seem to recall that your father-in-law gifted those guns to you prior to his passing.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Oh, and it looks like it's missing one screw. Probably not hard to find, or make.
    Also noticed the tape around the wrist and the broken wrist of the above image so it seems that narrow wrist is a 'weak' spot as it is in many designs. Thin wrist= easy to break :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom