• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Look on Midway and Brownells, they have the thread sizes listed so you can find what's compatible with each other.
    I have all the jags and tips but don't use them anymore. I use a smaller than bore size brush and wrap a patch around it, works much better than the tips.
    Depending on what I'm cleaning, I cut up those heavy paper towel rags or use old flannel sheets for patches. I cut them into strips the size of the brush then just cut them to length for the proper number of wraps around the brush to accommodate the bore size.

cmsharp27

May 2, 2022
    Baltimore, MD
    As others have said, Tipton one piece rods and jags. I purchased a 12" Dewey that came with a 22 jag and it rubbed and flaked material in two of my .22's. I bought it based on reviews and was surprised, ended up sending it back and getting a one piece birchwood casey which has worked just fine for a 22.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Would much rather purchase American made, but in this case, I also didn't want to damage my firearms. Could have just been that single rod out of spec.
    I'm curious, as I have had no issues with Dewey rods, rifle or pistol, what was 'flaking off'? Mine are all old and nylon coated.

cmsharp27

May 2, 2022
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm curious, as I have had no issues with Dewey rods, rifle or pistol, what was 'flaking off'? Mine are all old and nylon coated.
    The coating. It seemed to have a hard time going through the bore. Felt a slight grinding. It came with a 22 tip and the diameter, at least through visual inspection, appeared to be the same as my multi-piece 22 rods. I didn't check it with a caliper before returning. No issue going through larger calibers but by that point I just wanted to swap it out. This one was fairly new, picked it up in August.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I am ready to step up my rifle cleaning equipment. (I have a modern pistol cleaning kit)
    I have a new bench in the works that will have a 48-50" wide drawer (so I can store and organize 1 piece rods)

My current cleaning equipment is a smorgasbord of cleaning kits I have found over the years,, all are multi piece, screw together alum type sets, each missing parts.
    rifles I would be cleaning (me, friends, family) .22 rimfires (20-24"),, .223 (16-20"), 7.62 (18-20"), .45 (18-22"), .50 ML (18-22")

What is a decent 1 piece rod? looking for "decent",, I am not cleaning NRA museum pieces.
    Do all rifle caliber jags/brushes have the same thread size?
    If I were to get 24" rods,, could I add a short extension if needed? or are jag/brush threads different from "multi piece rod" threads ?

Thanks,
    Slack
    I can't find the name on my one piece rod I got and it was not off Amazon so it's not in my orders list. It however all steel and coated rather than aluminum. Found it was easier to exert force down the barrel with a tight patch or brush that the 3 piece aluminum mess. I'll keep digging though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom