• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamurai

Apr 19, 2021
    I need help finding the measurement of the diameter of the charging holes in revolver cylinders. Any and all double action revolvers welcome. (Picture below is an example with the Ruger GP100 357mag 7 shot revolver to demonstrate my meaning.)

If you know exactly where I can find these kinds of measurements - please let me know.

If you have the tools to measure our own revolver (or a friend's or from divine intuition), preferably down to millimeters or +- 1/32" - please post the make, model, caliber / shot-count, (year timeframe if old or obscure) and measurement.

I'm posting in this section because of the tolerance requirement. If I'm out of line or wrong for posting this, please message me privately and I will correct myself.

Long story short - I'm working on a speed loader design, and I only have access to one revolver.

unarmed.jpg

Thank you for your time / help.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Drop fired cases into each chamber (preferably with well centered firing pin strikes.) now use the "back" (inside diameter) jaws of a digital caliper to measure center to center provided its an even number of rounds. If its an odd number (5 or 7 chambers) measure from center spindle to case center & that's your radius.
    OR
    find a set of old school compasses/dividers & use them to measure the read with a ruler.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Or measure outside to outside and subtract one chamber diameter.

Or measure inside to inside and add one chamber diameter.

Or measure outside to inside and add/subtract nothing.

Or just buy a dang pistol.

By the way, this looks like a pretty lame attempt to get people to register their guns. Well joke's on the OP: I don't think anyone here even owns a gun! Buncha posers.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't think he is asking how to measure them, but rather input from others that have revolvers in order to compile a database of mfr specs for different revolvers... measure yours and input here.

I may be wrong tho.. lol

I have a few and can measure them in the next day or two.

Shamurai

Apr 19, 2021
    Sorry for any confusion. Yes, I intend to make speed loaders with the information. I've already made two speed loaders / carriers for revolvers that I own - the revolver shown in the pic and the diamondback sidekick.

It's not groundbreaking but no one made speed loaders that I liked / were affordable for me / or fit my revolvers - so I made my own.

Any measurements I get allow me to make a speed loader for that particular revolver and ideally someone to verify functionality.

TLDR: Yes, speed loaders. Yes, measurement input.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Purchase a handful of speedloaders, and measure them ?

S&W J frame and 5 shot Taraus share same speedloaders .

S&W K Frame & Dan Wesson like wise .

S&W L Frame , and Colt I Frame likewise .

Ruger Security Six & Colt Mark III sometimes have ( had) different part numbers , but are close enough to interchange in real life .

I want to say N Frame and Redhawk are same , but have to look up to make sure .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not affordable ?

For the two main brands , MSRP is $15- 18 , sale prices starting $ 10 .

Yeah , I know back in the Revolver era they were about $5 , but for 2023 , $15 is still affordable .

The HKS , Safari Comp II and III all work well , and between them have most all revolvers covered .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Purchase a handful of speedloaders, and measure them ?

S&W J frame and 5 shot Taraus share same speedloaders .

S&W K Frame & Dan Wesson like wise .

S&W L Frame , and Colt I Frame likewise .

Good point...

s&w 686 and GP100 357 6 rd use the same one,

s&w 686 plus and GP100 357 7 rd also

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Sorry for any confusion. Yes, I intend to make speed loaders with the information. I've already made two speed loaders / carriers for revolvers that I own - the revolver shown in the pic and the diamondback sidekick.

It's not groundbreaking but no one made speed loaders that I liked / were affordable for me / or fit my revolvers - so I made my own.

Any measurements I get allow me to make a speed loader for that particular revolver and ideally someone to verify functionality.

TLDR: Yes, speed loaders. Yes, measurement input.

Once you have the measurements, you might also consider making loading trays for the range, like this:

20230216-084434.jpg

I'm not sure I would buy homemade speedloaders, since proven designs are easily and inexpensively obtained, and I would have questions about reliability and round retention.

I would definitely buy trays to reload them with, though. Bonus points if they fit in some sort of container with a lid, like a sterilite brand organizer that could be bought at WM or HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom