• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happa Haole

Happa Haole
    Nov 23, 2012
    I know its a foldable, pistol caliber rifle. How does it shoot? Reliable? Best place to buy one? Good or bad feed back?

Andronitis

Jul 19, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Pretty hard to come by. Anything Kel Tec is in pretty high demand and production is low. Be prepared to buy one on Gunbroker and pay above retail. Especially the 9mm glock mag version. As far as reliability and accuracy I cannot say since I do not own one.

Other options if you are looking for something in a pistol caliber are the Just Right Carbines.

Copenhaver

Feb 19, 2011
    St.Marys
    I used to have one and foolishly sold it to a guy, I needed the money and he was setting it up for his kid. The glories of being laid off always end up with selling guns. It was a fun little gun, reliable after break in, and it was pretty accurate.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Would love to pick one up. I'd even pay quite a bit over retail, but some of these prices are crazy.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Mine has been great but I haven't shot it much, maybe 100 rounds. It seems to function fine with the Korean mags. My guess is it's the fact that it's a straight blowback carbine with loose tolerances in regard to functioning. I bought it on the spot about two years ago when I saw it displayed at a NoVa gun shop and paid well below MSRP. Being an unregulated rifle, you can buy it from an FFL/gun store in a neighboring state.

It's pretty neat that it folds up to fit in a laptop case along with a bunch of magazines. Although I don't shoot it much, it was just one of those must have rifles. The exterior fit and finish is typical KelTec but the mechanicals are 100 percent. It seems accurate out to 100 yards and is light as a feather. I don't expect it to feel and shoot like a $2k AR but it's really good for what it is.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I know its a foldable, pistol caliber rifle. How does it shoot? Reliable? Best place to buy one? Good or bad feed back?

I have one in the 9MM Glock 17 version. After break in it functions just fine with no feed or ejecting issues. (read the forum threads below, it is something you will want to understand prior to owning or shooting) Also good article I wrote on shooting it left handed, not sure if that applies.

Very fun shooter, accurate after you adjust it, just don't get it in your head that it can be a substitute for an AR. If you had to, it could be used for self defense, but I would have a backup. You know, like the matching Glock.... ;) I would consider putting it in a "get back home" bag.

If you get one, don't feed it the Winchester stuff, it is downright nasty. Feed it regular Federal stuff and it will be fine. There are a few types of ammo it doesn't like, read the forum below. The gun is fairly easy to clean, but if you let it get caked inside, it can be a fair bit of work to remove the build up. I let it happen being new to the gun and got a huge buildup around the breech area. Now I pay more attention. Good luck finding one.

Here is their forum. Lots of good info...

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's really a lot to love about the Sub-2000:
    http://cheapassgunner.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/review-kel-tec-sub-2000/

Read that before you read what I wrote below. I am in no means trying to bash the gun, because I think, on the whole, it's a great buy and highly recommend it.

The only thing I genuinely disliked about it were the ergos. They aren't the worst ever by any means, but they're probably the biggest flaw of the gun. The charging handle is hard to pull, reciprocates, and is in an awkward spot. The cross-bolt safety is kinda meh. The LOP is too short. It's hard to get a good cheek weld without modifying the tube a bit. The field stripping and cleaning process is awkward. The front sight is annoying to adjust. Optics mounting is so-so due to the quad rail being tricky to get on straight.

The other concern I had was a perceived lack of combat durability. I wouldn't worry at all about the Sub-2k at the range, or in a home defense situation. But if I were running and gunning with it in the woods or an urban environment, I would have some genuine concerns about certain design decisions.

I traded my Sub-2k away, mostly because I bought higher-end pistol-caliber SBRs... but I admit, being able to stuff a Sub-2k into a large Plano accessories case was pretty freaking awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom