• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I originally wrote this review for ARFcom but I thought my Maryland brothers would enjoy it as well.

2013-04-03_22-04-49_93_zpsf7cc99ad.jpg

I finally got around to processing a batch of once fired brass I purchased years ago.

Well I needed to trim the lot - figure 1200 pieces.

Now usually I take a drive to my buddy's house and use his Giraud trimmer, all I have to do is provide the pizza
    icon_smile_tongue.gif
    . However, while I love pizza, it's a 40 minute drive to his house, we have coordinate schedules, then figure around 2 hours to get the job done.

I figure there had to be another way (other than spending the $440 for my own Giraud). Well I found it!

The Little Crow Gunworks Trimmer is the answer to my problem. I've read some call it the 'poor mans Giraud). It's basically a toolhead that you use in your hand drill or drill press. Once it's spinning you insert the case (like the Giraud) until it stops and the internal blades trim and deburr the case in a second.

The trimmer tool head on my drill press (forgive the messy workbench it's in need of a cleaning), note the brass shavings inside.
    2013-04-03_22-05-05_201_zpsdff32126.jpg

Setting up and use of the tool:
    The tool is easy to setup for case length. There are two set screws recessed on either side of the shaft (see the smaller hole over the big brass filled chamber above). Loosen these and you can adjust the neck length (as the trimmer is indexed off the shoulder). I used a case that had been trimmed earlier - pushed it into the chamber then lowered the blade till it hit the case. I then tightened the set screws. (Note an Allen wrench is NOT included with the tool head)

Then install the tool into your drill - note the instructions recommend a faster speed for best results and I agree.

While the trimmer is spinning insert the case till it stops (if it's long enough you'll hear the case being ground down - then a change in sound as it' reaches the right length) then give the case a quarter turn to ensure squareness. Remove the case and repeat until you're done. It's that simple.

To try out the tool I used my cordless drill. It worked fine! In less time than it would take me to use my Lee or Lyman trimmer on one case I had 10 finished!

When running the trimmer wear safety glasses! Brass bits occasionally fly out the large holes on either side of the tool head. I'll note these flying bits occur more often when the tool is moving slow (i.e. hand drill) than when the drill is running at high speed.

Using a drill press made things easier and faster - it was very much like using a Giraud except for the occasional flying bit of brass
    icon_smile_cool.gif
    . I processed about 600 cases in an hour, I still have more to do, but since I now own the tool I can process whenever I have the time.

After 500 or 600 rounds I suggest emptying the brass out of the cutting chamber. Just pull the tool from the drill and knock the brass out the hole. It takes about 30 seconds then reinstall the tool and you're back in business.

Cost for the tool was $70 w/o shipping from Brownells - well worth the price IMHO for the time savings. These trimmers can be purchased for a variety of calibers (including the popular alternate AR calibers like 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, .308, and 6.8 SPC!!)

Link to a short video of me trimming a few cases

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Looks pretty quick and easy. The only draw back is you need a seperate one for every caliber. I just bought the power adapter for my Lyman universal for making 300 blk brass. While not as fast it certainly is faster than hand cranking. How much adjustment does the Little Crow have?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Nice write-up!!

I've got the Little Crow "WFT" in both .223 and .308.

In my tabletop drillpress, using the .223 trimmer, I can easily trim 150 cases in less than 20 minutes.
    I don't recall the drillpress rpm(s), but, I've got the little Sears unit running on the slowest speed.

I've got a dedicated drillpress set-up with a Lyman trimmer that I COULD change-up, but, I hate like H E double hockey sticks to change it.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Looks pretty quick and easy. The only draw back is you need a seperate one for every caliber.
    True enough for examples like .223 vs .308, but the cost is low enough I don't care (I only reload for 2 - soon to be 3) bottleneck cases. Still far cheaper than a Giraud and far faster than my Lyman universal trimmer.

Note the manufacture indicates the trimmers are good for case classes
    From their website:
    Each W.F.T. is made to trim a specific cartridge or cartridge family such as a 308 trimmer will also trim 7mm-08, 260 Rem., 243 Win.

How much adjustment does the Little Crow have?
    You can adjust the neck length (the tool's trim length is based off the shoulder). I have not tried to see how much adjustment it offers, but it seems plenty to me.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Looks pretty quick and easy. The only draw back is you need a seperate one for every caliber. I just bought the power adapter for my Lyman universal for making 300 blk brass. While not as fast it certainly is faster than hand cranking. How much adjustment does the Little Crow have?

Russ, you can move the cutter shaft over an inch (total, forward/back) if you wanted to!!

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Nice review.

I bought one for 223 about 2 months ago and have trimmed about 500 cases with it and I'm extremely happy with it thus far.

For the money, I don't think you will find a better trimmer.

I plan to get one for 308 also.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I got mine for .300 blk and love it, I just tap it a few times, spin the drill a bit and repeat to clean the brass out. I also cut the bottom out from a solo cup to keep the shavings from going everywhere

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    Any idea how that compares to the possum hollow trimmer? Looks like the same concept but the PH is considerably cheaper (last time I checked).

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Any idea how that compares to the possum hollow trimmer? Looks like the same concept but the PH is considerably cheaper (last time I checked).

From what I understand the case holder of the PH moves with the bit and is lined with a slick polymer. Low tech but functional.

The LC has a holder that is suspended via bearings so it stays fairly stationary when you insert the brass, while the outer shell rotates around it.

People like them both. I went with the LC and found it works great. Now if I could only find a Hornady small primer pocket reamer...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The only draw back is you need a seperate one for every caliber.

Nope....the .308 trimmer works on .243, .260, 7-08, and .308 (presumably .257 Bob if the "universality" is any indicator), and the 30-06 version works with 25-06, .270, .280, and .30-06.

.223, .300BLK, and other "non-standard" .473-face calibers may necessitate a new unit, but even if you buy the .308, .300blk, and .223 versions, you've still spent less than half as much as you would on a Giraud for the same.

Food for thought. ;)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've been seriously weighing buying a few of these. For the 300 blk trimming is by far the biggest pain in the ass when making brass. Still I did 100 in about 15 min. using the Lyman with the power drill attachment. For now I'm good with that. If I end up doing larger batches I'll go with the LC.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I've got the 300BLK Little Crow and it's a nice unit... I can do hundreds of cases very quickly on a power drill. I've got a drill press I might give it a try on. Cases are all +/- .001-.002.

splatt

Apr 5, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I've had the LC in .223 for about a year now,works great. Run mine thru a drill press, nice trimmer to have when the brass starts piling up.

Good to know the .308 trimmer also works with .243, that's the next one I need.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've been seriously weighing buying a few of these. For the 300 blk trimming is by far the biggest pain in the ass when making brass. Still I did 100 in about 15 min. using the Lyman with the power drill attachment. For now I'm good with that. If I end up doing larger batches I'll go with the LC.

Yesterday I bought the same Harbor Freight 2" chop saw you use and I'm going to try making my own brass from some Lake City 5.56 brass. I have the WFT trimmers in 308 and 223, and they're pretty fast. The only other trimmer I have is a RCBS with a hand crank, and it gets old very fast. At one point, I took the hand crank off and put a 1/2" chuck drill directly on the shaft. It works great, but I can see it ruining the trimmer after a while. I may just get a WFT for the 300 blackout if the chop saw works well.

How accurately/consistently does the chop saw cut the brass? Are you trimming a lot?

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I have found that when chopping with the jig from .300blktalk, it is best to go a bit long, like 1.375-1.380 and then trim back a little more with the WFT. I have noticed some OAL variances depending on the headstamp when cutting with the jig and going long makes it all even in the end. As for the WFT itself, it does a great job keeping the cases very close except for, I think, PMP (I will check when I get home) which needs extra time in the sizer to get below 1.370.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Yesterday I bought the same Harbor Freight 2" chop saw you use and I'm going to try making my own brass from some Lake City 5.56 brass. I have the WFT trimmers in 308 and 223, and they're pretty fast. The only other trimmer I have is a RCBS with a hand crank, and it gets old very fast. At one point, I took the hand crank off and put a 1/2" chuck drill directly on the shaft. It works great, but I can see it ruining the trimmer after a while. I may just get a WFT for the 300 blackout if the chop saw works well.

How accurately/consistently does the chop saw cut the brass? Are you trimming a lot?

I always end up trimming a lot compared to the normal amount of trimming. I just use the supplied clamp to cut the brass down below the shoulder and up with brass ranging from 1.38 to 1.40.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    Thanks for the reports. I've been looking at these for a while and all of your comments have helped me make up my mind.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    very cool, I had been considering getting one from sinclair I think you made up my mind, thanks for posting.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    PPU is the head stamp that doesn't size/ cut right with the WFT. More than likely, this is an issue with the brass not sizing correctly on the shoulder as it is a tight got when I put it in the trimmer

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    PPU is the head stamp that doesn't size/ cut right with the WFT. More than likely, this is an issue with the brass not sizing correctly on the shoulder as it is a tight got when I put it in the trimmer

I gave up on PPU brass. That stuff with the K on it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom