• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    I went to a local FFL today to purchase a pistol and they said I needed to register on the MSP licensing site. What option do I choose there? The site was down for me when I was in the shop, now that it's back up, it either wants me to pay for an HQL or have a Carry Permit. I can't find an option for "I'm retired military, here's my DD214, leave me alone."

The options I see are:
    • Handgun Qualification License (Standard)
      • Required to purchase, rent, or receive a regulated firearm in Maryland
      • Select "HQL Standard" for License Type, and "Application" for Application Method
      • Required to have taken the 4 hour class from a certified MSP Instructor
    • Handgun Qualification License (Training Exempt)
      • Select "HQL Training Exempt" for License Type, and "Application" for Application Method
      • See website for list of exemptions
    • Handgun Qualification License (Permit Exempt)
      • Select "HQL Permit Exempt" for License Type, and "Application" for Application Method
      • Must have a valid MD wear & carry license

As you can see, "Must have a valid MD wear & carry license" is required for exempt. I already paid for the pistol, so I need to try and get this taken care of before I head back in tomorrow to fill out the paperwork.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If you have a retired ID, ignore the HQL and the CC permit (though you may want to revisit that later.

You are exempt from the HQL, but you still have to fill out an application for purchase.

Click the MSP link to start a form for a handgun purchase. When you get to the part where it asks for your HQL, click the option saying you are exempt due to being active/reserve/retired military.

Enter your DoD ID number on the form where it is requested, then proceed to answer all of the other questions.

When complete you will get an email from MSP with your pin. Provide the application number and pin to the FFL, and wait for an email on the morning of the 7th day that you are good to pick it up.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Find another FFL who knows the law. All I’ve ever had to do is show my retired ID card.

The FFL has nothing to do with it.

You can show them if you want, but they don't need to see your ID and can't do anything with it anyway. They will just tell you to fill out the form.

The form asks for the ID number.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I went to a local FFL today to purchase a pistol and they said I needed to register on the MSP licensing site.

The FFL was correct. You do not need to run around and find a new one only to be told the same thing.

What option do I choose there?

Application for firearms purchase... Form 77R. It should be the first option.

The site was down for me when I was in the shop, now that it's back up, it either wants me to pay for an HQL or have a Carry Permit. I can't find an option for "I'm retired military, here's my DD214, leave me alone."

Start the 77R, look for the option that says you are exempt from the HQL. See my previous post for more detail.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    If you have a retired ID, ignore the HQL and the CC permit (though you may want to revisit that later.

You are exempt from the HQL, but you still have to fill out an application for purchase.

Click the MSP link to start a form for a handgun purchase. When you get to the part where it asks for your HQL, click the option saying you are exempt due to being active/reserve/retired military.

Enter your DoD ID number on the form where it is requested, then proceed to answer all of the other questions.

When complete you will get an email from MSP with your pin. Provide the application number and pin to the FFL, and wait for an email on the morning of the 7th day that you are good to pick it up.
    Cool, thanks

Homesick Texan

Dec 15, 2012
    Middle TN
    Cool, thanks
    Be prepared for the run-around from MSP when reviewing your 77R. I had a few purchases where I put in retired military and answered my last duty station and when asked for a service number, i just said "same as my SSN". After a couple easy purchases I was rejected saying they need a number, so I had to actually put my SSN there. Then after a couple more I was told I would have to submit a DD254 as proof. So i used Adobe to redact ALL of my PII to include the SSN and it was approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom