• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Many but not all states will recognize Mulit-State residence.

Some states will only recognize residence status if you actually reside at an address within the state for a period of 181 days or longer per year.

The exceptions are, if one is serving in Military service. However to claim one of those states as your state of residence. You have to use an address in that state as your official permanent residence filed with your Military branch as a your official permanent residence.

Why does all this matter?

Because some states will issue non-resident permits, others only to the Military, and others not at all.

Even if a state issues you a non-Resident permit, not all states will recognize a non-resident permit. Some will ONLY recognize a permit from your home state of residence. Even then thats not even a guarantee of acceptance.

Take Colorado as an example. Colorado will only recognize resident permits from your home state of residence. However there are some states they still don’t recognize. Colorado will recognize A Texas Resident Permit but will NOT recognize a Maryland resident permit, nor a Maryland Non-Resident permit.

However it is interesting to note. That if you own or lease property In The state of Texas, and your willing to get a Texas State ID card and use your Texas Address on that state ID. Texas will recognize dual resident status. So when you get a Texas LTC. You could use it as a resident LTC along with your Texas ID. As Texas does not distinguish a difference between a non-Resident LTC and a resident LTC.

Several other states allow this as well. Now while you can’t legally maintain multiple Drivers licenses from multiple states, you can maintain multiple state ID cards legally. Some states allow for that some states don’t. However no state will allow multiple DL’s as far as I know.

The biggest expense comes from owning or leasing multiple properties.

However, if you do own multiple properties as vacation homes, or even rentals in some cases. Or even a business In multiple states. It ”MIGHT” be possible to obtain multiple resident permits.

I own a vacation home in Utah. If I were willing to obtain a Utah ID and Then change my Utah Permit address to that address in Utah, I could probably claim resident status with Utah. I just haven’t gone through the trouble. Utah is another state that does not distinguish on the permit if it’s resident or non-resident. They go by address alone.

For both Texas and Utah, one does either need to have a DL or ID from Texas/Utah to claim resident status.

Texas ID is simple enough, Socisl security card, Birth certificate or passport, and either your lease, mortgage, deed, or two utility bills. Not your phone bill.

Not for sure about Utah.

So if you own/lease multiple properties in multiple states. And your states permit is limited on Reciprocity. It is something to look into.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you are going to live in 2 states. that is fine. You need to look at the laws. First off do not confuse tax law, with 2A law.

Tax law considers you a resident of that state if you reside there 181 days. However, the ATF considers you a resident of that state in which you have a residence, for the duration of the time you are there.

If you have a business, land, property, or a rental, that is not considered a residence. You actually need to reside there, as in get mail there, have clothes, and spend time there.

PS - If you do manage to have a resident ID. Whenever you come across a firearm to purchase, you must use that ID within the state that it is issued.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom