• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've had an original VZ 58 Pi scope rail for a number of years now and have been asked a many times if I would consider lending it out to have it reproduced. Unfortunately, because these are so rare, I've always hesitated sending it away for fear of never seeing it again. Well, I recently found a local old-school machinist with over 50 years of experience who seems to understand what "reproduction" means to a collector. So, I'm currently having a number of them made and I'm curious if anyone is still interested in these. They are not for sale yet but it won't be long and I'd place them in for sale subforum when the time comes. Right now, I'm just trying to gauge interest. The price will probably be around $160 shipped per rail and I should have 20 available with a few of them already spoken for.

A few pictures of my original:

Vintage pictures of a VZ 58 Pi with the NSP-2 NV scope:

A couple pictures sent by my machinist of some reproductions compared to my original. Of course, I'll have MUCH better pictures when they are ready for prime time:

So tell me if y'all have interest in these and, if so, I'll post them up in the classifieds when the time comes to actually put them up for sale.

ToolAA

MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I don’t own a VZ 58, but I can certainly appreciate the desire to find an experienced and passionate machinist to create these reproductions. It looks like he’s got them spot on from the photo. With your connections, I’m sure you’ll be ordering a second batch soon enough.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I don’t own a VZ 58, but I can certainly appreciate the desire to find an experienced and passionate machinist to create these reproductions. It looks like he’s got them spot on from the photo. With your connections, I’m sure you’ll be ordering a second batch soon enough.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, sir. Yes, a number of these have been spoken for already.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    @JTH20

So these are meant to fit a Soviet style scope? I've got one built VZ2000 from OOW and two more kits
    Yes, these are machined to fit any number of Warsaw Pact optics. However, you have to remember that these rifles eject pretty much straight up so you don't want the front end of your optic hanging out there. When originally made, these were built with sole intention of mounting the NSP-2 as shown above. Now, will I be experimenting with other stuff after I have mine mounted? You bet! Will other optics work? I dunno......yet! The only reason I had more than one made for myself is that I've been contacted a number of times over the years by people wanting to either buy my original rail or send it to them to copy. Other than mine, I've only ever seen one other one and it was mounted on a rifle that had been built from a parts kit so there is no way I would ever send it away and it's not for sale at any price. So, I finally decided the best thing to do was to have some made. They're being made the old way, by one man using precision machines, not a robot CNC. The primary audience for these is someone who is wanting to recreate a VZ 58 Pi as shown above.

All of the above is a long-winded way of saying yes, these should fit any Warsaw Pact optic, but I can only guarantee that the results will be favorable with the NSP-2 it was designed for.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I could see this being an effective "retro" way of mounting any number of optics to these though. Potentially. I despise the top covers with rails etc.

I'd likely purchase one. If nothing else to hold to as a reference piece even if I never mounted it.

Found another post you made on this mount on another site sometime in the past. You mention the conical hider isn't difficult to locate. Define "isn't difficult" for me, please.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Back then, they were relatively easy to find. Now......not so much. As recently as this past April, VZ58usa.com had them in stock for $90 and bipods for $150. They are currently out of stock but they do get a few in from time to time.

smdub

MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I could see this being an effective "retro" way of mounting any number of optics to these though. Potentially. I despise the top covers with rails etc.
    Later VZ58s have a small AK-like side rail on the left. Czechpoint sells them to retrofit semi-autos w/o them. You do have to drill the receiver to mount (but thats how the real one is done.) I added one to my VZ58 long ago. Using a RS Regulate mount IIRC for a red dot. I dont recall if I put one on the VZ2008. Anyway, those rails are the most practical / inexpensive / authentic for what most people would want to mount.

Combloc's mount is really just for the NV Pi setup. I've never seen one for sale before.

Edit: Modern mounts:

And here is a thread where I posted pics of mine and which mounts work:

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Other than mine, I've only ever seen one and it was mounted on a rebuilt parts kit. The Czechs did make a modern mount paired with a Meopta scope so that they could continue to use the rifles scoped but good luck on finding one of those, I was once offered $1000 for my original rail if you can believe that!

Attachments

• Vz58PI (1).jpg
      Vz58PI (1).jpg
      16.8 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    slick mick