• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I was thinking about about purchasing one or both of these and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. SARCO seems to have them on and off. However, I wonder about the quality.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was thinking about about purchasing one or both of these and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. SARCO seems to have them on and off. However, I wonder about the quality.
    I have one for my Mauser. It’s pretty solid.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless it's original, there might be some questions from ATF if you attaach it to the pistol.

If you care. (If I'm right.)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah, it my understanding the ATF exempted the Lugers, Mausers, and Hipowers *IF* and *ONLY IF* the gun was C&R and the stock was a repro of an original. Thre is a letter out there explaining this. Its been a while and my memory is fuzzy on this but for sure several guns are exempted from SBRs.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Yeah, it my understanding the ATF exempted the Lugers, Mausers, and Hipowers *IF* and *ONLY IF* the gun was C&R and the stock was a repro of an original. Thre is a letter out there explaining this. Its been a while and my memory is fuzzy on this but for sure several guns are exempted from SBRs.
    Would like to see a link to such a letter if anyone can provide it. Been told it was ok and not ok over the years so it would be great to know one way or the other.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its hard to find links to the letters. They are not published on the ATFs website (shocker!) Here is a transcript of one of them:

The C&R list says which items can have stocks w/o needing NFA approval. The letters seems to indicate repo stocks that are close to the original deisgn are all allowed. Searching through the C&R list for 'stock' there are a lot of exemptions in there. Some are limited to only specific serial numbers (like Winchester levers) but there are a lot of pistol types. Who knew?

Here is another good lick w/ docs:

Last edited:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Its hard to find links to the letters. They are not published on the ATFs website (shocker!) Here is a transcript of one of them:

The C&R list says which items can have stocks w/o needing NFA approval. The letters seems to indicate repo stocks that are close to the original deisgn are all allowed. Searching through the C&R list for 'stock' there are a lot of exemptions in there. Some are limited to only specific serial numbers (like Winchester levers) but there are a lot of pistol types. Who knew?

Here is another good lick w/ docs:
    Thanks, read through some of it will get the rest later. Looks interesting.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    There is what appears to be a legit stock/holster for a C96, along with the C96 it goes to, over at AM Shooting in Damascus. $2700 is the asking price for the set.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    smdub is correct. There's a long, involved thread on this subject over on the Lugerforums site. The pistol has to be a model that was routinely issued with a shoulder stock. So we're talking items like the C-96, Astra M900, Star Model A Carbine, Navy/Artillery/Carbine Lugers and tangent sight HPs. Considering how expensive it is to source an original stock these days a good, quality repop is a viable option. I can say from firsthand experience that a C-96 with a shoulder stock is a peach to shoot. Much nicer than without. Look for repops from Europe, I think their lugs are machined better and that's a big deal if you intend to shoot it. Nonthing sucks more than a lug that wobbles and loosens up after a few dozen rounds.
    Currently bidding on an original Arty Luger stock. Trust me, it won't be the $150 bargain that a repop will set you back.
    IMGP5682.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom