• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    1" is fine and I buy the 4 packs at lowes like shown above. I'd like the 8' - 10' ones but always get the longer ones. Never paid attention to UV ratings and none have faded.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I saw this old thread from gon.com at https://forum.gon.com/threads/chains-and-turnbuckles-for-ladder-stands.846841/ about ratchet straps. In my case the chains might be too much so I'm looking for recommendations what straps to buy. Is it necessary to use 2" wide or 1" are OK? And UV resistant straps are mandatory.
    What kind of stand are you using? For our aluminum portable stands we use ratchet straps. We have some permanent stands made out of wood that we use chains and turnbuckles on. For the permanent stands we loosen the turnbuckles at the end of the season and put a piece of foam in between the tree and the chain so the chains don't get broken when the tree grows, then in the Fall we tighten them back down. I guess it depends on the stand you are using what kind of attachments you need. The permanent stands weigh a ton. They are 15' tall and have a chair rail around them. It takes a crew (5-6 guys) and a tractor to move them and set them up.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    What kind of stand are you using? For our aluminum portable stands we use ratchet straps. We have some permanent stands made out of wood that we use chains and turnbuckles on. For the permanent stands we loosen the turnbuckles at the end of the season and put a piece of foam in between the tree and the chain so the chains don't get broken when the tree grows, then in the Fall we tighten them back down. I guess it depends on the stand you are using what kind of attachments you need. The permanent stands weigh a ton. They are 15' tall and have a chair rail around them. It takes a crew (5-6 guys) and a tractor to move them and set them up.
    We have couple permanent ladder stands which need the new straps. Typical setup is two short straps on top around the tree trunk and two long straps for ladder. These are one hunter stands so we were able to move them with 2 guys only, it was hard but manageble with proper pulley, ropes and climber stand. The UV kills fabric in one year easily, brackish water kills ratchets, they do need protective lube.

For box blind we do use steel cables and turnbuckles with four anchors so this one is not a problem.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've always backed my 'lock-on' stands up with an anti theft cable. Two ratchet straps plus one security cable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We have couple permanent ladder stands which need the new straps. Typical setup is two short straps on top around the tree trunk and two long straps for ladder. These are one hunter stands so we were able to move them with 2 guys only, it was hard but manageble with proper rolling blocks, ropes and climber stand. The UV kills fabric in one year easily, brackish water kills ratchets, they do need protective lube.

For box blind we do use steel cables and turnbuckles with four anchors so this one is not a problem.
    Are the "permanent" stands metal or homemade/wood?
    On metallic ladder stands, I only replace the ones holding the platform unless the other ones show damage.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    We have couple permanent ladder stands which need the new straps. Typical setup is two short straps on top around the tree trunk and two long straps for ladder. These are one hunter stands so we were able to move them with 2 guys only, it was hard but manageble with proper pulley, ropes and climber stand. The UV kills fabric in one year easily, brackish water kills ratchets, they do need protective lube.

If it's up all year I'd go with chains and a turn buckle. Just make sure to loosen them before the Spring and tighten them back up in the Fall. Galvanized 1/4" or 3/8" should be fine. I like the turnbuckles that are open in the middle so you can use a screw driver to get more torque. We have used the turnbuckles with hooks on both ends. There are eye bolts on the back of our permanent stands to hook the chains too. One side eye is attached the other side gets the turnbuckle. No issues except if you forget to loosen it, lost a few turnbuckles that way, bent the hook straight.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Are the "permanent" stands metal or homemade/wood?
    On metallic ladder stands, I only replace the ones holding the platform unless the other ones show damage.
    They are made of steel. By my mistake one of the free ends of the strap went down and was touching the earth so water went up to the buckle strap and it got destroyed - all free ends should be picked up and tucked. These straps do need to be replaced. Trees are dying and falling frequently so the stands need to be moved almost every other year. It is near Blackwater, frags and bay are taking more and more ground.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    They are made of steel. By my mistake one of the free ends of the strap went down and was touching the earth so water went up to the buckle strap and it got destroyed - all free ends should be picked up and tucked. These straps do need to be replaced. Trees are dying and falling frequently so the stands need to be moved almost every other year. It is near Blackwater, frags and bay are taking more and more ground.
    Phragmites suck. They grow through a root system and are hard to control. We have some in our front yard I have to beat them down each year to keep them from spreading. There are too many trees nearby to try ground clear.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Those straps deteriorate in the sun I wouldn't trust them for too many years. Cheap enough to replace. Also watch the terminal ends on cables that support folding portables

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Good to know the 1" wide straps are acceptable. Also started to check the web material to be polyester as more resistant to elements and sun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Those straps deteriorate in the sun I wouldn't trust them for too many years. Cheap enough to replace. Also watch the terminal ends on cables that support folding portables
    If you leave those up all year, they should be replaced every 2-3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom