• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I goofed and used red Loctite instead of blue to secure the hold-down screw on a replacement Glock tritium sight and now am unable to get it off. I tried using a soldering gun to apply heat to the screw, but no joy. I've already twisted or broken several allen wrenches. Any ideas? Thanks!

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    I assume you are talking about the front sight, correct? Here's what I would try, since your soldering gun isn't getting hot enough, find a piece of wire such as a coat hanger that will sit on the top of screw. Then cut the wire to a length that will allow you to get a pair of vice grips on it and still have room to set it on top of screw. while holding wire with the vice grips heat the end of wire with a handheld propane torch, Mapp gas would be preferred, until the wire turns red then set the end of wire on screw until enough heat transfers to the screw and remove screw.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I assume you are talking about the front sight, correct? Here's what I would try, since your soldering gun isn't getting hot enough, find a piece of wire such as a coat hanger that will sit on the top of screw. Then cut the wire to a length that will allow you to get a pair of vice grips on it and still have room to set it on top of screw. while holding wire with the vice grips heat the end of wire with a handheld propane torch, Mapp gas would be preferred, until the wire turns red then set the end of wire on screw until enough heat transfers to the screw and remove screw.
    Sorry, I should have specified it's the rear sight. Because the screw is so small, and I don't want to risk breaking the tritium capsules, I have been careful to apply just the tip of the soldering gun (brand new, never used with solder) to the screw hole. It's just not getting hot enough. I figure I can always drill out the screw and probably ruin the sight if I have to.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    Sorry, I should have specified it's the rear sight. Because the screw is so small, and I don't want to risk breaking the tritium capsules, I have been careful to apply just the tip of the soldering gun (brand new, never used with solder) to the screw hole. It's just not getting hot enough. I figure I can always drill out the screw and probably ruin the sight if I have to.
    How about using an Allen wrench in place of a wire? Heat a Allen wrench up until its red and place it in the screw and see if it heats it up enough to free up the lock tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom