• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I usually see these two being mentioned as cheap ways to get decent grade accuracy without having to pay wolf prices. Anyone have a real preference one way or the other?

It'll be out of a savage fv-sr, and I've been told the cci will usually stay subsonic in the 16 inch barrel.

Haven't tried either in the savage yet, but I do know that my old mossy 802 loved the remmy's.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Do you need the round to be subsonic for noise reasons? If lowest cost isn't critical, I like CCI Mini-Mag HP and especially CCI Velocitor.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have had success with CCI standard not going supersonic in my SU-22. Seemed pretty accurate at 50yds, too.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    My range just opened up a 300 yard rifle range, and I want to try my best artillery impersonation. I guess I'll just buy a box of each at 100 yards.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    We shoot .22s to 300 yards quite often, sometimes further. I have enough shims under the back end of my 10/22 base to call it a "50 MOA" slope and can now dial to 350 and then hold over with mildots to hits stuff a little further.

From what I've seen, from a 10 round mag, Remington sub-sonics will toss at least 2 bullets out of the group due to velocity variations. I've seen them hit a foot lower at 275 than the rest of the mag, then you'll get a fast one once in a while that renders a 'crack', even from my 14" barrel, and goes high. I used to shoot them a lot until I tried doing more than just keeping the squirrels off the bird feeders.

I never had consistent results from any CCI round when it comes to long range, but I DO love their Mini-Mag HPs for mid-range varmint and small game.

Any sort of high velocity round is going to trade off accuracy for terminal performance. It's a fact of life that .22 slugs don't like the transonic velocity turbulence and you'll see that EVERY decent quality target round is just below the speed of sound.

I've been shooting some Wolf, but these too drop a few out of the groups, and are EXTREMELY dirty. I shoot a box of these and there is a visible pile of powder granules under the 10/22. For the money, it's decent ammo and at it's best in a bolt gun.

Remington-Eley Club Match is very accurate and consistent, but is also more than $10/50 bx and their terminal effects are very limited.

Surprisingly, Winchester Subsonic HPs have been very good in my 10/22 and I killed a groundhog from the porch a few days ago that was a lasered 175. Their flat (truncated) hollow points do not seem to cause an excessive amount of drop and do provide a good "whop!" on impact. None of the subsonic HPs expand reliably in my own experience, so having a flattened point is a plus.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    We shoot .22s to 300 yards quite often, sometimes further. I have enough shims under the back end of my 10/22 base to call it a "50 MOA" slope and can now dial to 350 and then hold over with mildots to hits stuff a little further.

From what I've seen, from a 10 round mag, Remington sub-sonics will toss at least 2 bullets out of the group due to velocity variations. I've seen them hit a foot lower at 275 than the rest of the mag, then you'll get a fast one once in a while that renders a 'crack', even from my 14" barrel, and goes high. I used to shoot them a lot until I tried doing more than just keeping the squirrels off the bird feeders.

I never had consistent results from any CCI round when it comes to long range, but I DO love their Mini-Mag HPs for mid-range varmint and small game.

Any sort of high velocity round is going to trade off accuracy for terminal performance. It's a fact of life that .22 slugs don't like the transonic velocity turbulence and you'll see that EVERY decent quality target round is just below the speed of sound.

I've been shooting some Wolf, but these too drop a few out of the groups, and are EXTREMELY dirty. I shoot a box of these and there is a visible pile of powder granules under the 10/22. For the money, it's decent ammo and at it's best in a bolt gun.

Remington-Eley Club Match is very accurate and consistent, but is also more than $10/50 bx and their terminal effects are very limited.

Surprisingly, Winchester Subsonic HPs have been very good in my 10/22 and I killed a groundhog from the porch a few days ago that was a lasered 175. Their flat (truncated) hollow points do not seem to cause an excessive amount of drop and do provide a good "whop!" on impact. None of the subsonic HPs expand reliably in my own experience, so having a flattened point is a plus.

sir, I have to say I am fairly consistently impressed by you. I hope one day to have the time and expendable cash to take one of your classes.

By the way, what kind of groups would you consider adequate for a middle of the road bolt gun, with middle of the road ammo, and wrong end of the road shooter at 300? I'll personally be surprised to hit the damn thing at that range.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Ed should wear a cape.

For cheap .22s, the Federal Walmart bulk box is pretty good; consistent, reliable, and relatively accurate.

For higher accuracy cheap ammo, I like Wolf Match Extra (although dirty) and SK Rifle Match.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I usually see these two being mentioned as cheap ways to get decent grade accuracy without having to pay wolf prices. Anyone have a real preference one way or the other?

It'll be out of a savage fv-sr, and I've been told the cci will usually stay subsonic in the 16 inch barrel.

I use CCI Standards in my FV-SR exclusively. They have ALWAYS stayed subsonic. Theyre relatively clean and very accurate.

Regarding the Remington Subs, Im not a fan. Theyre filthy and their accuracy is inconsistant. Come to think of it, Im not a fan of any Remington ammo. So maybe Im just biased. :D

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I am a big fan of subsonics in 22lr rifle.
    I like both rem and cci...but the best is the cci segmented subsonic imo
    but I should bulk .22lr from my 22/45.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...By the way, what kind of groups would you consider adequate for a middle of the road bolt gun, with middle of the road ammo, and wrong end of the road shooter at 300? I'll personally be surprised to hit the damn thing at that range.
    With almost any kind of match ammo, a 4-5" group at 300 yards is attainable if you discount the low fliers that most ammo delivers. The better the ammo, the fewer the fliers and the less drastic the departure from the group.

5" at 300 yards is equivalent to about 3/4" at 50 yards, so if your rifle/ammo/personal skills support that level of accuracy or better, the only things taking them off target at 300 are the wind and the velocity variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom