• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    + 1

I have two of the Remington 597 rifles. I have the standard and the one with the laminated stock and carbon fiber barrel. Right out of the box they are accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I have at least 50,000 rounds through my first one. After market higher capacity magazines are available when you shop out of state.

I bought the standard model for open sited shooting, but ended up putting a scope on it for my friends to shoot.

Both of mine like to eat bulk Federal Champion ammo. :thumbsup:

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Why is this any better than a 10/22? Not trying to start anything, just curious.

In some ways it is better and others not so much. The 597 has dual guide rods while the ruger has a single. The 597 also has last shot hold back on the bolt. And on the downside there are not the limitless supply of mods like a 10-22. The 597 in the link above comes with the bull barrel and stock for the price of what you would pay for a plain Jane stock 10-22. The rivers are legendary and wonderfull rimfires but dollar for dollar the 597 is going to beat it. A comparable 10-22 tactical from the factory will run over double the price tag of the 597 hb

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    If you feed the 597 Federal Champion 36 grain ammo and don't over tighten the allen screws used to hold the guide rods you shouldn't have any problems. It is very accurate at 100 yards without any modifications.

I've tried a lot of different kinds of ammo in it and it seems to prefer Federal 36 grain bulk ammo.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    Model597_OD_80877_Right.ashx

Nice looking rifle. I like the lines.
    Too many guns...not enough money! :mad54:

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Just an FYI. They are NOT carbon fiber barrels. It is a decorative plastic sticker that wraps the barrel. Sorry. Had to say it. I have one and found out the hard way. Anyway. The only problem I've ever had with it is the mag release spring bent or came loose so sometimes I have to fool with it to rechamber a fresh mag. Other than that, a tack driver.

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    I think this model just comes in blues barrel. Called Remington and they haven't even started production and it won't be on the production schedule for a couple months.. Looks like I just have to wait.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Mosy any out of the box Marlin/Remington etc 22 will outshoot an out of the box 10-22.

That is true in my experience. I really think the micro-groove used in marlin production rifling makes them the most accurate production barrels. The 597 I had was accurate, but the FCG linkage would bind and come apart. It wasn't too difficult to repair, but every shooting session ended with that thing coming apart. I just gave it away.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Good idea!

Damifinowfish,

I had it out there a long time ago, maybe it's time to go out there again. Why don't you bring your 10/22 and I'll bring my 597 and we will have some fun? Do you want me to bring the 3/4" clanger you made me? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom