• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I have a Model 700SPS Stainless, 300 Win Mag with a sporter barrel. I am looking into having the barrel threaded to put a can on it. This past weekend I was at the GAOS in Harrisburg. While there, one of my stops was at RW Hart’s booth to get some info about having it done. Bob Hart said a 5/8 X 24 cut would likely be too much for that barrel profile, but a 9/16” X 24 would work. I also emailed a local gunsmith about the work, and their reply was that it would likely effect accuracy by “a fair amount“ and recommended using a heavier profile barrel, but they could do it. I don’t particularly want to have the barrel swapped out. I just put a new Stocky’s M50 sporter stock on the rifle and I’m not sure a heavier barrel will fit. I am also not sure how much the stock could, if any, be channeled out to accommodate same. Anyone have some insight? Looking to see if a 9/16 cut and a 9/16 - 5/8 adapter will be ok on this rifle.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Picture of rifle for reference:

IMG_2583.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Bob Hart is someone I would listen to.

Doc Harren, who is on the boards here as DocEd, would likely agree. I do not recommend hanging cans on sporter weight barrels. Even at smaller thread dimensions. One of my friends threaded a sporter barrel in 7mm mag for a guy and with the can on it shot like ass. Guy bitched. My friend warned him in advance.

I generally want .800 plus at the muzzle before I will hang a .30 cal compatible can on it. .900 is better. There may be some leeway with the ultralight stuff like the titanium thunderbeast offerings but I don't have enough data points to comment with authority.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I would think that just about any metal removal for threads on that thin/small diameter of a muzzle on a button rifled barrel will degrade accuracy. While you might not like this idea, cutting the barrel down significantly so that it has a thicker muzzle diameter and threading at the thicker diameter would likely reduce the precision loss due to bore expansion AND provide less barrel whip(vibration) for improved accuracy. It looks like a very long (26"-28"?) barrel that could easily be cut to 22" to 24" with minimal velocity loss.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Thanks for the info fellas! It has a 26” barrel, although I don’t really want to cut it down. I’m purchasing a Banish 30 from Silencer Central. If it doesn’t work out for this rifle, I can use it on some others I have.
    I‘m going to discuss it further with RW Hart after they are done with the GAOS and back to a normal routine. I have plenty of time to do some more research, just started the purchase process this past Saturday.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I feel with such a light profile barrel and a hefty cartridge, the weight and harmonics would be disrupted completely. All that weight on the end and whippey barrel recipe for disaster

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I agree all the harmonics, and putting that weight on the end of the barrel and it will end up being a spray and pray rifle. Whitt machine made a friction fit muzzle brake which is pretty light , but again on a sporter barrel results probably would not be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I think I will leave this rifle as is. It does shoot well. I have a few other rifles that will be suitable.
    Thanks for the input fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom