• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soco

May 21, 2012
    All:

I tried asking this on MDS a year or so ago, but searching Ebay every few weeks hasn't turned up much.

My father in law left us with a beautiful 70's remington 1100 in great shape. It has the magnum barrel (30" 12ga with a fixed full choke). I've been told it's a "flyover gun" from when people in the northeast would take long shots at birds passing overhead with lead shot.

Unfortunately, since the advent of steel shot I have been warned from shooting my typical 3" steel BB through this choke. My findings are that for the 1100, the only magnum barrels I see are the 30" fixed full choke. There are 25-28" fixed modified and skeet chokes, but I have yet to find one that is anything other than 2 3/4" chamber.

Does anyone have a smart way out of my quandary? I'd obviously like screw in chokes, but I would accept a fixed modified since the gun will primarily be used for geese at 40 ish yards. I have heard lead modified choke is equivalent to improved modified using steel shot and that always works for me in my 870. I am open to sending it to a gunsmith but I can't seem to find anyone in MD that will return my calls or requests. Craftsmanship is dying sadly.

So, anyone got a smart source for 1100 barrels short of trolling Ebay for another year, or know of a gunsmith that would competently thread an old shotgun barrel and accept the job?

Thanks everyone

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    All:

I tried asking this on MDS a year or so ago, but searching Ebay every few weeks hasn't turned up much.

My father in law left us with a beautiful 70's remington 1100 in great shape. It has the magnum barrel (30" 12ga with a fixed full choke). I've been told it's a "flyover gun" from when people in the northeast would take long shots at birds passing overhead with lead shot.

Unfortunately, since the advent of steel shot I have been warned from shooting my typical 3" steel BB through this choke. My findings are that for the 1100, the only magnum barrels I see are the 30" fixed full choke. There are 25-28" fixed modified and skeet chokes, but I have yet to find one that is anything other than 2 3/4" chamber.

Does anyone have a smart way out of my quandary? I'd obviously like screw in chokes, but I would accept a fixed modified since the gun will primarily be used for geese at 40 ish yards. I have heard lead modified choke is equivalent to improved modified using steel shot and that always works for me in my 870. I am open to sending it to a gunsmith but I can't seem to find anyone in MD that will return my calls or requests. Craftsmanship is dying sadly.

So, anyone got a smart source for 1100 barrels short of trolling Ebay for another year, or know of a gunsmith that would competently thread an old shotgun barrel and accept the job?

Thanks everyone
    Briley down in Houston will thread it. I had a barrel on an old 20 gauge done awhile back.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    If you want it done right and with a quick turnaround BARRELSMITH Mike Orlen is your go-to: https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/amherst/profile/gunsmiths/mike-orlen-gunsmithing-0261-204846

I’ve not heard from Mike for over a year now but, were I you, I’d leave a message for him this evening and then dial him up again tomorrow before Noon …

He installs screw-in chokes and your barrel gives him plenty of metal to work with (as opposed to some older, thin wall muzzles :-/

Unless something has changed his turnaround is 10 days or less and you’ll hear from people on ShotgunWorld.com and Trapshooters.com who’ve gotten their barrels back in 6 or 7 days!
    (But then, hunting seasons across North America start in 3, 2, 1 …)

ETA: Briley is also an excellent choice (probably THE best choice but obviously, will cost way more and take way longer)

D*mmit! I’d also suggest a call up to Hastings but, their website offers bad news (and no 3” chambered 12ga 1100 barrels … :-(

We have been informed that our fall order for barrels will not be coming due to supply chain issues. The only barrels we have are listed on the website. …

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    You have yet another option, mere hours from me, and that is Bill Graham who is Nice Old Double Gunworks, in Durham, NC.

Here is a write-up on him: https://gardenandgun.com/articles/restoring-classic-side-by-sides/

And here is a post by him on CarolinaFirearmsForum (NC&SC version of MDS, if you will …):

All things considered, he would probably be my first send to and contact:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The obvious is to shoot Bismuth , or other type of non toxic intended for classic bbls .

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I had my 1100 modified years ago to accept screw In chokes. Some guy in Virginia. Maybe 25 years ago.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom