Rem 700 SPS Varmint - Which decent 20 MOA base and rings for $100?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Just picked up a 700 in .308 during the Dick's BF mess. Looking for suggestions within budgets constraints. Just getting into the LRP game.

I am looking at mounting one of the following scopes:

SWFA SS 10X42
    Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 (used to be 3200 series)
    Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 (Midway special)

Prefer one piece base. Thanks for your help!

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Thanks, I've heard good things about EGW bases and TPS rings.

Any thoughts on the DNZ gamer reaper one piece mount? They have a tactical version (1" or 30mm) that has 20 moa built in. The reviews seem very positive.

It's CNC milled from 6061T6 right here in the USA! May not be as versatile as separate mount and rings but may be more solid/true. Might still have to bed the mount though on a 700.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.ph...result&search_in_description=1&keyword=20702t

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A little over your budget, but, Leupold's MKIV Picatinny Rail Mount (+15MOA) is really good. :thumbsup:
    Steel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...moa-elevated-remington-700-short-action-matte

This was on sale a couple of months ago, for less than $100.00.

Rings -
    Either Leupold MKIV rings (these are 1")
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/987843/leupold-1-mark-4-picatinny-style-rings-matte-medium :thumbsup:

- or -

Warne rings
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...ck-detachable-weaver-style-rings-matte-medium

Either way, IMNSHO, go with steel for everything.

I have all of the above, and they're top shelf.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I'm new to the LRP game meself just putting a Stevens 200 on layaway. I picked up a Weaver Extended 20MOA scope mount for less than $30. Comes with a recoil lug unlike the EGW I believe.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Guys thanks for the replies. Some of the bases alone are over my budget.

Looking for 20 moa base and rings for around $100.

Thanks again!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Guys thanks for the replies. Some of the bases alone are over my budget.

Looking for 20 moa base and rings for around $100.

Thanks again!

I fully understand (and appreciate) having a budget. I've lived under tight budgets for most of my life.

I suggest saving some $$$ and going with steel mounts/rings, instead of aluminum.

I've seen aluminum get 'beat up' by moderately recoiling calibers.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I'm new to the LRP game meself just putting a Stevens 200 on layaway. I picked up a Weaver Extended 20MOA scope mount for less than $30. Comes with a recoil lug unlike the EGW I believe.

Good call. I ended up buying the Weaver 20 MOA rail also. It also looked like the EGW had the lightening cuts that Clandestine alluded to.

8541 Tactical (LoneWolf USMC on YouTube) did a budget precision rifle build and also spec'd this rail as an excellent value. I ended up getting the same TPS TSR low rings he did and the Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil tactical scope (Midway special) so got an additional $35 using AR15.com discount code.

I hope the bell of the scope clears the extended mount or I will be getting the hack saw out. Hopefully, I won't need to bed the mount either!

I am psyched to get started on my little project! Thank you everyone for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom