Gaithersburg MD
    Picked up a new hunting rifle

Rem 700 CDL stainless & fluted barrel w/Leupold VX-3L optic

377499_10151189185070983_2104489564_n.jpg

59880_10151189185950983_985945988_n.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Why'd they mount the scope that high? The whole point of that scope was the ability to be mounted lower to the bore.

Freak

May 20, 2011
    Gaithersburg MD
    Very nice. What caliber?

Why'd they mount the scope that high? The whole point of that scope was the ability to be mounted lower to the bore.

The Leupold "low" mounts were too low. These are the Leupold "medium" mounts. I'm happy with the outcome, normally to mount a 50mm optic you'd need at least the high mounts.

The picture is also very deceptive, I took it from a side angle. The gap is much tighter then it appears.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I'm in the market for a Rem 700 myself, and this is just making it worse. A sweet purchase you made there, and when I saw Leupold came out with those half-moon cutout scopes, I was immediately intrigued.

Where/how did you acquire it (local shop, private sale, online/FFL, gun show, package w/ scope, purchased separately)? I've heard of some issues with Remington QC after a company buyout, but I admit, I haven't gotten to that phase of my research.

I'm leaning toward a 700 SPS tactical in .308, but part of me really likes the look of a nice wooden stock.

Please let us know how she shoots when you get some range time!

Freak

May 20, 2011
    Gaithersburg MD
    I'm in the market for a Rem 700 myself, and this is just making it worse. A sweet purchase you made there, and when I saw Leupold came out with those half-moon cutout scopes, I was immediately intrigued.

Where/how did you acquire it (local shop, private sale, online/FFL, gun show, package w/ scope, purchased separately)? I've heard of some issues with Remington QC after a company buyout, but I admit, I haven't gotten to that phase of my research.

I'm leaning toward a 700 SPS tactical in .308, but part of me really likes the look of a nice wooden stock.

Please let us know how she shoots when you get some range time!

Picked it up at Bass Pro, not my favorite place to spend my $ but they had both in stock and the prices were reasonable. I've read a lot about the QC too, so I guess I'll just have to see how it shoots. Plan on going to Cresap soon.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    Picked it up at Bass Pro, not my favorite place to spend my $ but they had both in stock and the prices were reasonable. I've read a lot about the QC too, so I guess I'll just have to see how it shoots. Plan on going to Cresap soon.

Did you get the scope there as well, and did they offer any kind of package discount? I already have a Leupold (only 3x9) on my Savage 110 .223, but I'm interested in getting a higher power scope for long-range distances with the new 700 when I get it. My next problem is finding a range that can handle 500+ yards, as SLCFSA maxes out at 300.

This gun/range thing is gonna be my project for 2013, as I'd like to get a lot more involved in long-range stuff.

Thanks for the info!

Freak

May 20, 2011
    Gaithersburg MD
    Did you get the scope there as well, and did they offer any kind of package discount? I already have a Leupold (only 3x9) on my Savage 110 .223, but I'm interested in getting a higher power scope for long-range distances with the new 700 when I get it. My next problem is finding a range that can handle 500+ yards, as SLCFSA maxes out at 300.

This gun/range thing is gonna be my project for 2013, as I'd like to get a lot more involved in long-range stuff.

Thanks for the info!

Yep, bought there and no discount. That is a definite benefit of buying at a IP, like 2A, where I try to spend my $$.

Here's a better pic...

92A95C97-08E8-4D82-82E5-B60BE8A828F3-7678-0000098F81886FFD.jpg

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Very nice rifle - Im a big fan of the 700's!

Get a good handload developed for that rifle, and you'll see how well a 700 shoots!

:thumbsup:

Ive never had the chance to handle one of those style Leupold scope. What does the sight picture look like - is it a full circle like most typical scope?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

The Leupold "low" mounts were too low. These are the Leupold "medium" mounts. I'm happy with the outcome, normally to mount a 50mm optic you'd need at least the high mounts.

The picture is also very deceptive, I took it from a side angle. The gap is much tighter then it appears.

Ahhh, from the side perspective it's clearer. That first picture makes it seem like there's a mile between the scope and the barrel. My bad, I was wrong. Very nice setup. Let us know how the thing shoots.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    The Remington Model 700 SS Milspec 5R is an awesome rifle, although is might be a little heavy to hump through the woods. My deer hunting rifles are a Winchester 70 Classic Extreme Weather SS in 270WSM and a Remington 721 in .270 Win. I have a 5R that love to shoot, but I've never done any long range hunting with it.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Wow! That's real nice. Nice optics too! :thumbsup:

I picked up REM 700 in .270 about a 3 months ago in camo without the fluted barrel. I've had her out to the range and she's a real nice shooter - sure yours will be too. She's pretty!

I was surprised at the kick she had. Guess I expected less from .270 but I'm liking the caliber. My son found out the hard way as he climbed up to far on the scope! POW! Right between the eyes. Poor guy. LOL! Happens to the best of us!

Enjoy your new rifle. Let's hear a range report!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Very good purchase sir!!! I'm sure it will serve you well. I don't personally own one, but a good friend does. I always beg him to bring it to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom