• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What's the verdict on Rem 597's from those that own them. Saw a nice HB in 222 mag in LGS tonite. Wondering if the semi auto works well. Other than a 10/22 my rim fires are all CZs and BRNOs so I'm spoiled I guess. But would like a nice SA 22mag. Also, is $599 reasonable?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have the 597 Heavy Barrel in .22 WMR and using the Hornady V-Max rounds, it's like shooting a laser beam. It has taken more than its share of squirrels, a few ground hogs, and a raccoon or three at distances from 50 to 100 yards.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a super accurate .5 MOA 22 LR 597 that cost me close to $1000 including the $167 I paid at WM for the original rifle.
    1. check the guide rod screws to make sure they are not too tight. Many take the guide rods out to polish them. If you do that the 22WMR version is a little harder to reassemble because it uses dual springs on each guide rod.
    2. Check to make sure the recoil bumper in the back of the receiver is installed properly and seated all the way in.
    3. If you put a scope rail on top of the receiver do not tighten the 3 rail screws too tight or they might strip.
    4. Buy and install the Volquartsen hammer, it will cut your trigger pull just about in half.
    5. Have fun shooting it, regardless.
    You can find a lot more info on the 597 on the RimfireCentral.com forum under Remington. And I am there also and have been for a bunch of years.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a super accurate .5 MOA 22 LR 597 that cost me close to $1000 including the $167 I paid at WM for the original rifle.
    1. check the guide rod screws to make sure they are not too tight. Many take the guide rods out to polish them. If you do that the 22WMR version is a little harder to reassemble because it uses dual springs on each guide rod.
    2. Check to make sure the recoil bumper in the back of the receiver is installed properly and seated all the way in.
    3. If you put a scope rail on top of the receiver do not tighten the 3 rail screws too tight or they might strip.
    4. Buy and install the Volquartsen hammer, it will cut your trigger pull just about in half.
    5. Have fun shooting it, regardless.
    You can find a lot more info on the 597 on the RimfireCentral.com forum under Remington. And I am there also and have been for a bunch of years.

Yep-I've seen you on RFC. I mainly hang on the CZ/BRNO forum. Still have a CZ 512 WMR in my sites and will probably go that way but the Rem I saw looked like a nice gun.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Been trying to find a Rem 597 threaded 16" HB myself and no go. Apparently Rem stopped producing them and the stock dried up but they haven't actually discontinued them yet. So I may have to drop down the standard threaded barrel?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Been trying to find a Rem 597 threaded 16" HB myself and no go. Apparently Rem stopped producing them and the stock dried up but they haven't actually discontinued them yet. So I may have to drop down the standard threaded barrel?
    The gunsmith at Glade Valley in Frederick threaded a 597 barrel for me before I got one of the VQ carbon fiber bull barrels.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks - that is my second option. Buy the cheaper OD green HB, have the barrel threaded, toss the factory stock for a Boyd's, add a trigger kit, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom