• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I happened upon a reference that could be helpful in the Text, History and Tradition standard that Heller established and Bruen affirmed while doing some genealogical research. I don't remember seeing this particular reference cited so I thought I would put it here where someone could find it. If it is widely known just delete the thread.

In August 1643 in the Plymouth Colony a list of all males aged 16 to 60 who were able to bear arms was compiled. This list is well documented. So prior to the militia act of 1792 which specified the minimum age to be 18 it was assumed, in at least one colony, the age to bear arms was 16.

Link to the list as published in a book published in 1855 (starts on page 167):

Link to a modern PDF copy of the list that is easier to read (it contains the names of several of my ancestors):

Link to "History of Taunton, Massachusetts: From Its Settlement to the Present Time" By Samuel Hopkins Emery pub. 1893; page 328; has the list of their eligible residents:

Starting at the bottom of page 329 of the "History of Taunton Massachusetts" they also mention the bringing of arms by militia members to church on Sundays (this is April 8, 1682) and on page 330 it even specifies the minimum amount of ammunition they should carry.

Last edited:

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    I seem to recall something about Bruen limiting the historical dates appropriate for THT analysis to the period between the ratification of the 2nd (1791) and the 14th (1868) Amendments.

If I've got that wrong, somebody will be along shortly to issue a correction. <Smile>

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I seem to recall something about Bruen limiting the historical dates appropriate for THT analysis to the period between the ratification of the 2nd (1791) and the 14th (1868) Amendments.

If I've got that wrong, somebody will be along shortly to issue a correction. <Smile>
    It's narrower than that. IIRC several Justices have mentioned in speeches and papers that the founding era ended with the death of the last Founding Father, James Madison, in 1836.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's narrower than that. IIRC several Justices have mentioned in speeches and papers that the founding era ended with the death of the last Founding Father, James Madison, in 1836.
    Nope. Just the founding era is more relevant. Bruen specifically does mention when the 14th was ratified can count.

Basically for any THT you’d need to look at everything from the time an amendment was adopted going back to the founding. So early amendments you have to go back really far. The 17th for example you’d be looking at stuff at about 1913 and earlier (direct voting for US senators). The text has the greatest weight. History and tradition are secondary and history and tradition can only matter up to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom