• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    A non C&R licensee is intrigued with the idea of a functional antique military firearm - a shooter firearm. Seems like the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 is most popular due to price, availability and the cost/abundance of ammo.

What would you recommend? What should the individual look for in an antique firearm?

:thumbsup:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Mosins work but I would go 1903a3 or M1 both are very accurate and way more sexy than a mosin. IMHO

Not sure where you live but mine are always available to shoot.

Once you shoot an M1 you want to buy it, and several more!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The Mosin is the most cost effective by far. Personally I prefer the carbine length Mosins. They just seem handier and if I'm honest, look way cooler with the folding pig stickers.

Enfields and Mausers are nice, but the ammo is drying up.

Personally I say every American gun owner should have an M1 Garand. They ain't cheap any more, but they ain't gonna get any cheaper either. M2 ball ammo is also slowly dwindling away, but it's not ridiculous yet.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I am partial to the Enfield ShtLE, actions like butter and not terribly expensive.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A non C&R licensee is intrigued with the idea of a functional antique military firearm - a shooter firearm. Seems like the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 is most popular due to price, availability and the cost/abundance of ammo.

What would you recommend? What should the individual look for in an antique firearm?

:thumbsup:

Antique!!!

Since when is anything from the WWII era an antique? Wow. That just blows me away.

Anyway, to be constructive here...

If someone is looking for a shooter, I would stay away from the M44, certainly if it's going to be their only shooter. The carbines are infamous for their massive fireballs, huge muzzle blast, and miserably punishing kick. It's a rifle for someone who wants to touch off a few blasts as a novelty and to impress their friends. ("Awesome, Dude!" "Shee-it! Didja see that fireball!!"

I'm sure there are a few experienced riflemen out there who have put in the work, who do some good shooting with the M44, (with or without the bayonet extended), but I do not think it is a good choice for someone's first milsurp rifle if they want a shooter. Get the M44 as an investment, and to touch off a few rounds now an then for the hell of it, but not as a serious introduction to shooting milsurps.

Far better to get a 91/30 with a good bore and give it an accuracy tune up. It will be a much better and more pleasant shooter, and may even be a better investment.

Better still to get a good M39 from Pat Burns while you can. These are the most refined battle-grade Mosins, built by the Finns. They may cost twice what an M44 does, but they are 10 times the rifle. They should be a decent investment, too. By the way, the Finns built some of them on receivers made before 1899, qualifying as true, legal antiques. Those can be shipped to your door without an FFL. (It looks like it may be too late for Pat Burns, but the M39s are out there.)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    That's the Carbine length?

Thanks.

Right. It's in stock here right now, but that sort of status can chance in minutes!

It all depends what you mean by "shooter". For me, that means something that you can have fun going out plinking with. It doesn't mean something for match shooting or taking down a deer at 200 yards. That's just my take, at least. Given the OP's stated budget, the M44 is probably the "funnest" C&R rifle that he's going to find in that price range. There's no question that the Finn is a far more accurate rifle, but you buy what you can afford. The M44 will make milk jugs full of water and bowling pins "get blowed up real good", and it's a nice starter piece to have in a collection.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Antique!!!

Since when is anything from the WWII era an antique? Wow. That just blows me away.

Or, you could have taught me that the term "antique" applies to firearms manufactured before 1898 per ACT of 1968 as explained on Burns' site.

I appreciate all the other info, however.

:rolleyes:

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Right. It's in stock here right now, but that sort of status can chance in minutes!

It all depends what you mean by "shooter". For me, that means something that you can have fun going out plinking with. It doesn't mean something for match shooting or taking down a deer at 200 yards. That's just my take, at least. Given the OP's stated budget, the M44 is probably the "funnest" C&R rifle that he's going to find in that price range. There's no question that the Finn is a far more accurate rifle, but you buy what you can afford. The M44 will make milk jugs full of water and bowling pins "get blowed up real good", and it's a nice starter piece to have in a collection.

Machodoc,

Thank you for that information. After watching hickock's video with his Mosin-Nagant... that's sorta what I imagined doing. Just having fun with a historical piece.

Anything Polish-made in that price range? Or are there Polish marked Mosin-Nagant originals/copies?

Thank you.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Anything Polish-made in that price range? Or are there Polish marked Mosin-Nagant originals/copies?

I seriously doubt that you'll find a Polish-marked Mosin-Nagant in that price range, but you can certainly find Polish pistols in that general neighborhood. I really like almost anything that came out of the Radom arsenal, and the Polish Tokarev is one of my favorites. They don't seem to be in stock right now at any of the usual online sources, but the P-64 (another Radom product) is in stock at Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom