• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Slowly starting to put together my reloading setup and I think I'm ready to graduate from the lee scoops + trickler to a powder measure mounted on a stand.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that can throw <5gn charges for pistol and >45gn charges for a rifle with reasonable (safe) standard deviation?

I was looking hard at the Hornady powder measure, but it looks like they nickle and dime you to death (have to buy a different drum for pistol?). I was also looking at the RCBS measure at Basspro but put it back when I saw made in China on the back.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm willing to pay more for accuracy (not looking for a $500 electronic contraption) and made in USA. Thanks.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have the Lee Auto Disk for my range ammo. It works well and I usually get +/- .01 grains with it.

I also use the Hornady Auto Powder Measure (electronic trickler) for my more accurate loads. I really like this measure - dead nuts on when doing large or small loads.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Buying multiple drums for pistol/rifle is a thing. Beats buying multiple measures.

As far as made in usa, not sure any that are not boutique fit your bill here.

I have an old pacific for blasting rifle ammo. Great, and made here, but long bought out by hornady. You can find them used sometimes. If you want USA made and top shelf, that's Harrell's Precision. Made in virginia. By expert machinists. Prices match the quality, though. I can swear to that quality.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Powder measures:
    Find some old RCBS Uniflows, Lyman 55's, Ohaus Duo-measures they are out there
    Redding makes good measures, Harrell's are on the higher end. Like you I have no
    need for or want $400 stuff. Even have the ole RCBS Lil-Dandy for pistol with the
    xtra rotors, plus adjustable rotors, works great

Here I have Duo-measures with Dramworx Pyrex hoppers, Old Uniflows, Lyman55's
    Redding, and Harrells. and...old beam scales.

-Rock

Last edited:
    The Lee Perfect Powder Measure can be mounted, is consistent within <0.1gr and is cheap- $35ish.
    Mine is great for everything except really fine powders like H110, which leaks.
    1670106759954.png

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I second the Lee Perfect Powder measure. I have used one for twenty years and it works from 2 gr. pistol charges up to 60 grain rifle reloads. It throws charges by volume so you need to calculate the volume of your chosen powder. Then I verify the charges on the scale. I have gotten very consistent reloads for everything from 38 S&W up to 30-06.

Carroll

Jul 19, 2022
    Pasadena, MD
    I know RCBS and Hornady both offer a lifetime warranty. I bought a RBCS powder measure years ago and didn't realize when I bought it there are two dispensing drums available. The one I bought came with the one for large powder charges like a rifle. I called RCBS and attempted to buy the small drum for pistol charges. They sent me the small drum and wouldn't take any payment. Recently had the gears in my Hornady case prep go bad. Sent an email and Hornady got back to me in 30 minutes asking for my address and sent me a complete set of gears.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The Lee Perfect Powder Measure can be mounted, is consistent within <0.1gr and is cheap- $35ish.
    Mine is great for everything except really fine powders like H110, which leaks.
    View attachment 390670
    I have this one and a hornady powder thrower , but I use the lee the most. I like the fact I can close the hopper off and use it to put unused powder back in the can.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    For information plinking the dippers are great. I haven’t used them much anymore. I can not find updated powder table for them.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I also have a Lyman 55 and have had good luck with different powders for pistol
    Only Rifle I use it with is 223 and H335
    All other rifle I load by hand and use trickled to get verified precision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Powder measures:
    Find some old RCBS Uniflows, Lyman 55's, Ohaus Duo-measures they are out there
    Redding makes good measures, Harrell's are on the higher end. Like you I have no
    need for or want $400 stuff. Even have the ole RCBS Lil-Dandy for pistol with the
    xtra rotors, plus adjustable rotors, works great

Here I have Duo-measures with Dramworx Pyrex hoppers, Old Uniflows, Lyman55's
    Redding, and Harrells. and...old beam scales.

-Rock

Just a mention on Rock's mention of the RCBS Lil Dandy, as these come up less frequently.

I absolutely love the Lil Dandy pistol powder measure. For batch loading using loading blocks, and if that's your preferred loading method, it's very quick. But rotors aren't cheap, and they also oftentimes don't correspond as well as one might like to the published charged weights that each rotor number supposedly throws. So before they made adjustable rotors, and in loading a bunch of different cartridges where some charges were just a bit too low and others a bit too high, I wound up over the years with a collection of nearly every rotor they make in chasing "perfect." If you find an old timer cutting one loose, with adjustable or a good selection of rotors for less than a Brink's truck, they're a Dandy indeed for a dedicated pistol cartridge measure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have the Lee Auto Disk for my range ammo. It works well and I usually get +/- .01 grains with it.

I also use the Hornady Auto Powder Measure (electronic trickler) for my more accurate loads. I really like this measure - dead nuts on when doing large or small loads.
    Their auto drum works extremely well. The accuracy is a bit lower on extruded powder. But flake and ball it works excellently. Extruded is within very safe margins. I’ve seen as much as .3gr low to .1gr once it is dialed in over 20 rounds with about half spot on and a quarter .1gr low. The rest .3, .2gr low or .1gr high

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have several of the Dillon specific ones, but also a Lyman #55 that's so old its grey, not orange!
    I do find the triple setting (one slider & 2 micro screw) & "volume equivalent metering" a bit of a pain, but it definitely works & meters very consistently. The powder knocker is a great feature I wish more meter had one!

1670872631412.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom