• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I am not a gunsmith. When I clean my firearms I do the basic strip down and then reassemble using my hands. On some of my firearms I have noticed that after several thousand rounds carbon builds up behind the extractor and it needs to be removed for cleaning. I have in the past made due with a claw hammer and nail set. (Beretta 92FS) Also i have on a couple occasions needed to reseat the pin holding the sight blades in place ( Ruger Redhawk Super Alaskan) I'd like to have the proper tools to perform these and similar occasional adjustments. Would prefer something I can pack up and store with my cleaning supplies if possible. Can anyone recommend a quality beginner set of basic tools?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Google is your friend sometimes
    I have everything there but the files - just stuff that I picked up here and there as I needed them.

I have a Grace gunsmithing screwdriver set - I picked those up because those are what my Dad had. I'm not sure if they're the "best" to have, but they do seem to review well.

I was thinking a similar thing though:

Gunsmith brass/nylon hammer
    Roll pin punches
    Roll pin starters
    Torque screwdriver
    Gunsmith screwdrivers - flat ground so they won't slip on slotted screws

I also have a regular torque wrench that I've used for installing barrels on a couple of rifle projects usings barrel nuts, and some other gun-specific tools - wrenches for specifically sized barrel nuts, Bighorn action wrench, etc.

Something I'd like to pick up is a sight pushing tool - I don't have one of those yet.

I also have a couple of laser bore sighters for specific calibers, but those were cheap and they don't always get it done very well. I'd like to get a better bore-sighting setup.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    You can get a set of pin drifts from Midway. First thing I would recommend is a good set of screwdrivers.
    I use my Dremel with a little cylindrical grinding tip or 1/2" or 3/8" sanding drum to grind the screwdriver tips to fit screw slots perfectly. If you don't have a Dremel then you can still buy the tips and they're work good enough in a hand drill.
    Lyman and others make a little hammer, brass on one side and plastic on the other. For drifts I find myself using a little ball peen hammer that I got from Harbor Freight, mainly because its handy. It's about five inches long, cost $5 and usually lays around on the work bench.
    Keep an eye out for a piece of copper or brass to make a drift for moving sights and such. A block or inget of lead comes in handy for tapping and tapping against as not to mar the finish. If you work on certain guns frequently then move forward and buy the proper specific tools and bench blocks.
    Midway and Brownells have any kind of tools you might need.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The stuff I've seen offered as gunsmith tool sets tends to be marginal at best. Real Avid? No thanks.

I'd get punches, a plastic bench block and screw drivers from Brownell's. The interchangeable screwdriver bits have a lifetime warranty. Get a couple different weights of ball pein hammer from Harbor Freight. No need to overspend there. Maybe one of their interchangeable face hammers, too.

Buy more stuff as the need arises, and get things that actually work.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Some things I use a lot aren't considered gunsmith items. Toothpicks, cheap toothbrushes, cotton swabs and bamboo skewers can be found at the Dollar Store, along with acetone (plain nail polish remover). Mostly for cleaning, but skewers and toothpicks make good slave pins, too.

A couple locking hemostats (i.e. surgical clamps - cheap ones are fine) are handy for installing springs and holding small pins. My narrow needle nose pliers came from an electronics supply house but Harbor Freight might have them too. The jaws are even thinner than the hemostats.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The stuff I've seen offered as gunsmith tool sets tends to be marginal at best. Real Avid? No thanks.

I'd get punches, a plastic bench block and screw drivers from Brownell's. The interchangeable screwdriver bits have a lifetime warranty. Get a couple different weights of ball pein hammer from Harbor Freight. No need to overspend there. Maybe one of their interchangeable face hammers, too.

Buy more stuff as the need arises, and get things that actually work.

Good advice! You don't need everything, but you ideally should have the things mentioned early on. I'd add that a decent torque screwdriver is a must also.

And yes, do indeed buy decent hollow ground screwdrivers BEFORE the need arises! Of all the tools, lack of decent screwdrivers is the most likely place where you'll see yourself first get into trouble. Having a good set means you'll avoid the temptation to grab something out of your tool box that has no place around guns, with the inevitable poor results of butchered screw slots and gouged surfaces and finishes. And no, you oftentimes won't succeed at "being careful" with ill fitting tools. Kindly don't ask me how I know.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I picked up a pin block recently - I wanted to do some work on a 1911, and the pin block I got seems to be purpose built for the 1911, but it can be used for other things. At some point I want a purpose-built pin block for the AR platform.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Fix it sticks torque driver
    Amazon product ASIN B084HQ598T
    Punch set
    Amazon product ASIN B01N4RG023
    From there, firearm specific tools as necessary. For the AR variety, a reaction rod (or, my preference, a BEV Block) and armorer's wrench (or pick up the specific set from the likes of RealAvid):
    Real Avid AR-15 Armorer's Master Kit1313 ReviewsOur Price is $279.99.Our Price:$279.99

The list goes on, depending on the specific firearm and level of work you want to do. Everything from barrel dimpling jigs for the AR, to stoning fixtures for 1911/P226... But, if you are looking for bare necessities, the two items posted first are those I use more than anything else. That, and my Otis Elite cleaning kit https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014805158?pid=666881

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I picked up a pin block recently - I wanted to do some work on a 1911, and the pin block I got seems to be purpose built for the 1911, but it can be used for other things. At some point I want a purpose-built pin block for the AR platform.

Hmm. Never knew they purpose built a pin block for a particular platform.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hmm. Never knew they purpose built a pin block for a particular platform.

I bought the Wheeler block - this particular one is set up for certain 1911 pins.

265720.jpg

Real Avid makes one that's specifically set up for the AR platform.

266818.jpg

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I bought the Wheeler block - this particular one is set up for certain 1911 pins.

265720.jpg

Real Avid makes one that's specifically set up for the AR platform.

266818.jpg

Thanks. The AR15 one is $40. Not sure it is worth the cost.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks. The AR15 one is $40. Not sure it is worth the cost.
    It would depend on how often you work on ARs. I don't have it because my concern is the same as you - seem like a lot for something that may not get much use.

I bought the universal block because it was inexpensive enough and I figured I could use it for other things too. I mean, some guys drill holes in a block of wood, or they drill out a hockey puck and call it a day so it's a bit of a luxury item in its own way.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Chapman tools make nice screwdriver sets for a decent cost/quality compromise. Not as good as the Brownells brand tips but good enough for a lot of uses. Made in the USA.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I use the 1911 block trickg pictured...but mine is no where near as pretty anymore. But its still trucking...

If you are looking at doing minor operations on personal firearms its prudent to get a couple specific items such as the bench block, in this example. That particular item is great in many aspects but especially great just in the link pin removal/installation on barrels. They make the gun work aspect of life much nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom