• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thats half an hour I could be paid doing other stuff!

I'll watch it tomorrow at work when I'm being paid to do other stuff anyways.

Summary:

General stuff- When the car is stopped and you're not using it to move around, it becomes terrain. Move to better terrain if possible. If it's not possible, the car can provide limited cover, depending on where you are.

shooting from trunk to front through windows- deflection prevented bullet from exiting, so shoot around or over if you need to..not through the windows unless you burn a shot to make a hole or are using a rifle

shooting through side windows- bullet trucked through with limited deflection

trunk- offers little ballistic protection

doors- handguns failed to penetrate through both doors to the other side, rifles did, but not consistently

a/b/c pillars- all stopped handgun and rifle rounds, not ideal...but can be used as stopping points during movement or if you're SOL and stuck there

engine block- Best protection on the vehicle, know where it is positioned relative to the body

wheels- offer little protection because tires offer zero protection and wheels have lots of holes.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Thanks for all the replies. Here is what I have ordered to try out:

1. Remington HD Ultimate Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 180 Grain
    2. Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 180 Grain Hydra-Shok
    3. Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 40 S&W 165 Grain
    4. Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 40 S&W 180 Grain
    5. Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 165 Grain
    6. Federal Premium Law Enforcement HST JHP - 40 S&W - 180 gr

I was hoping to get everything in 180 grain with one duplicate in 165 grain (the gold dot) so I could "infer" what all rounds would be like at 165. I was able to do that with everything but the critical defense :tdown:

Right now without having fired any of them, I am leaning towards the HST 180 grain simply because it is less expensive (50 round box instead of 20 round box for about the same price) and it seems to be widely used here.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for all the replies. Here is what I have ordered to try out:

1. Remington HD Ultimate Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 180 Grain
    2. Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 180 Grain Hydra-Shok
    3. Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 40 S&W 165 Grain
    4. Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 40 S&W 180 Grain
    5. Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 165 Grain
    6. Federal Premium Law Enforcement HST JHP - 40 S&W - 180 gr

I was hoping to get everything in 180 grain with one duplicate in 165 grain (the gold dot) so I could "infer" what all rounds would be like at 165. I was able to do that with everything but the critical defense :tdown:

Right now without having fired any of them, I am leaning towards the HST 180 grain simply because it is less expensive (50 round box instead of 20 round box for about the same price) and it seems to be widely used here.

Critical Defense is for shorter barreled pistols. Look for Critical Duty, which is for duty sized pistols.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Critical defense was designed to stop at about 11", whereas the critical duty adds some lead to the base and ups the charge to penetrate to around 16". In short barrel guns, velocity takes a whack and you'll get less expansion, but deeper penetration. What this means for the duty vs defense choice is that critical duty will not expand very much and may penetrate out to 18-20". Critical defense won't expand as much, but will stop around 13". As the barrel length and velocity increase, they both expand more and penetrate less until critical duty starts falling inside that good 12-16" mark, while critical defense stops too short, although with decent expansion. HST and DPX both tend to expand bigger and penetrate more consistently across a wider velocity range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, all of those listed are decent choices ( likewise another 10 or 12 choices ).

Test them in your gun , in your hand(s). Reliability is mandatory. Control is important. If reliable and controlable , then accuracy in your gun. Tiebreaker for cost and local availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom