ReadyWise 148 Serving Freeze Dried Food Kit Bucket from Midway USA for $80 - 67% off

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Looking for protein? See any real meat? Mostly empty calories.

Serving size is a metric. Calories are a metric.

If your goal is to simply survive for a while, this will do fine. If your goal is to be able to actually do things and stay healthy, you just may want to find better calories. Most of these are empty calories imo.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Thanks. Anyone ever try them. Taste quality?

If SHTF, I do not think you will care what the food tastes like. You will simply be happy that you have something to eat. I personally hope you never have to taste any of this food.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Looking for protein? See any real meat? Mostly empty calories.

Serving size is a metric. Calories are a metric.

If your goal is to simply survive for a while, this will do fine. If your goal is to be able to actually do things and stay healthy, you just may want to find better calories. Most of these are empty calories imo.

All good points. I see this as a way to get through a SHTF scenario. At 50 cents a serving, I am not sure you will be able to do better on price. I expect that each bucket would last 1 normal person for 1-2 months.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    i wonder if this might be good for a multi day hiking trip for a group? Seems like it might be a good option as for weight and convenience. I've been thinking of a 4 day hike along the Appalachian trail at some point and I imagine much of this could be split between 3-4 people for that timeframe with stuff left over. Not a bad price for four days worth of food for 3-4 people.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Maybe I'm missing something on the website but I don't see total calories listed. Also appears 56 "servings" are drinks not actually food. Not sure if it's a deal or not because I have no idea what they're calling a serving.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I have quite a few of these buckets scattered throughout my home, with some packets in my cars, bug out bags, etc... Pulled a couple of buckets out from the closet behind me. They are easy to prepare, and they have a wide variety of products including some with meat/poultry in addition to rice, beans, etc... Yes, the meat/poultry ones have real meat and it comes out looking and tasting like meat when prepared according to directions. Decent caloric density, complete proteins, adequate fiber when combined with the veggie and rice packet meals, and remarkably easy to prepare/convenient. The carb count is quite good with their recommended combos and will keep one moving and provide decent dietary induced thermo-genesis (fat burns in the flame of carbohydrates) and help prevent keto-acidosis, etc.. One could do worse.

Some pics below. Also some ingredients and nutritional info. They have other iterations and types of foods in addition to the below, it's just what I had in the closet behind me. I have the others as well, squirreled away like the lil adorable prepper I am, and some in my cars, etc..

Some of the meals are a bit high in sodium, so folks with issues related to that need to be aware and others with metabolic issues (diabetes, etc..) need to be conscious that these types of foods are survival type foods vs longer term sustenance. They will keep you alive and can be a great adjunct to meat from hunting, or veggies etc.. grown in a garden, etc..

Some of the meals are very tasty and filling. Yes, there are some with kinda empty calories but caloric density when one needs calories - your body will use those calories to help build/repair tissue and keep you functional vs having nothing at all. Yes, they are expensive for what you get but they are well designed for very long term storage, have good quality oxygen absorbers and sealed packets, and they are easy to move about and one can grab a bucket or two and feed themselves or a family for a few days of camping or if stuck somewhere in an emergency situation, etc..

Anyway, I have other emergency food stuffs as well, but the Wise stuff is what is being discussed here and they have a decent product IMO at a price point and packaging that makes them very convenient to get through a rough patch if the power goes out or you're stranded somewhere, or locked in your house as a bunch of Victoria Secrets models are outside trying to break in to your home to take your virginity or whatever.

IMG_8205.jpg
    IMG_8208.jpg
    IMG_8207.jpg
    IMG_8206.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey