• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    So I am finally giving in to my impulse to have an M16A1. I plan to order from Nadak NDS-16A1. I am waiting on a matching upper because I know there were Colt Vietnam era parts kits floating around some years back, but for the life of me I can't find any. Does anyone have a source or an idea on how to get one of these completed? Another thing, is some of those kits come with barrels and uppers, some without, some with one and not the other.. I assume the smart thing to do is find a kit, get it, and add my final pieces.

Any success stories out there? I would love to hear any advice and see your completed builds!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    All I need is a darned handguard ring (and nodak to deliver the upper- it's off at anodizing). I was unable to find any parts kits so did it piece by piece at ar15sport .

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    All I need is a darned handguard ring (and nodak to deliver the upper- it's off at anodizing). I was unable to find any parts kits so did it piece by piece at ar15sport .

If you dont mind me asking, what did it end up costing in the end? (roundabout)

Thanks Buff7mm that is exactly what I want. I might end up going that route as it seems to be the most efficient.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Only place I know of that has A1 kits left is what a country. Keep in mind these were half the price two years ago.

http://whatacountry.com/colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx

Instead of doing a nodak lower, you can also do a tactical machining blank and have it modified and engraved to match. Your going to have to do an hbar anyway if you use a non sbr post ban lower.

Best non forum reference for retro models is retro black rifle.

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/index2.html

I have built a few retro clones and also have a few in progress. I used green mountain rifle barrel 1:12 phosphate pencil barrels. They're chrome lined and are track drivers with xm193.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Only place I know of that has A1 kits left is what a country. Keep in mind these were half the price two years ago.

http://whatacountry.com/colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx

Instead of doing a nodak lower, you can also do a tactical machining blank and have it modified and engraved to match. Your going to have to do an hbar anyway if you use a non sbr post ban lower.

Best non forum reference for retro models is retro black rifle.

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/index2.html

I have built a few retro clones and also have a few in progress. I used green mountain rifle barrel 1:12 phosphate pencil barrels. They're chrome lined and are track drivers with xm193.

Luckily I live out of state so HBAR is a non issue. You perfectly answered my questions as far as uppers so I appreciate the help! It seems I missed out when they were going for way cheaper and everyone had them. I KNEW I should have just gotten one then. It almost seems like grabbing the upper and blasting away until I get a matching lower might be the way to go. Decisions decisions..

I do appreciate all the help so far.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Authenticity/original parts and cost are the two things to balance. If you are not worried about original parts, the link buff posted is a pretty good deal especially if it's a green mountain barrel. Keep in mind that can't go on a post ban lower though.

Look at the colt model 605 if you want a retro build that you can hide the heavy barrel. Otherwise you have to have a heavy barrel custom turned to accept an A1 FSB but I'm not sure if it would still qualify as heavy. Engage could probably do that to a white oak heavy barrel for you and might be able to advise on if it would still be "heavy."

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Luckily I live out of state so HBAR is a non issue. You perfectly answered my questions as far as uppers so I appreciate the help! It seems I missed out when they were going for way cheaper and everyone had them. I KNEW I should have just gotten one then. It almost seems like grabbing the upper and blasting away until I get a matching lower might be the way to go. Decisions decisions..

I do appreciate all the help so far.

Ah, that makes it easy. Watch gunbroker for a complete sp1 upper.: they usually sell in the $400-600 range. It will have the large front takedown hole. For a few dollars you can buy a bushing so it will fit any modern lower. That will be the most authentic build you can do on a budget

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Ah, that makes it easy. Watch gunbroker for a complete sp1 upper.: they usually sell in the $400-600 range. It will have the large front takedown hole. For a few dollars you can buy a bushing so it will fit any modern lower. That will be the most authentic build you can do on a budget

I had considered SP-1 uppers but aren't they all slabside? I much prefer the A1 with the tear drop forward assist. Again I really appreciate all the help! :party29:

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I had considered SP-1 uppers but aren't they all slabside? I much prefer the A1 with the tear drop forward assist. Again I really appreciate all the help! :party29:

Yeah most all of the sp1 uppers are without forward assist. The going rate for a bare A1 upper receiver is 1/3 the price of the what a country kit so you have to decide how important an original is to you.

Look at Fulton armory for new A1 uppers. You could then send everything to victor at US Anodizing to have the upper and lower redone in early colt gray.

Eta: looks like Fulton is a slick side upper as well. Seems buff's link might be an easy way to quickly get into a retro build.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Indy.

I would just piece the setup together. Buy the Parkerized/Chrome Lined Green Mountain Barrel.

Buy a NDS Upper and Lower as they come in stock. The finish will match. Lots of places have the other parts like the Teardrop F.A.. The Round Delta Ring can be had from Brownells.

I think Brownells has A1 and 3 prong flash hiders, depending on what you want.

The hard stuff to find can be the correct furniture at times.

Lots of the kits dont come with barrels and they send used Front Sight Bases. You cant reliably reuse a used/drilled FSB unless you have a really expensive mill, and know how to fit oversize taper pins. Basically a used FSB is junk.

Some kits come with in the white barrels that are not parked and not lined and they are just junk.

The parts kits also come with M16 FCGs which MUST be ground and welded in certain areas to be legal for Title 1 AR. Just use a regular AR15 LPK.

You will need to buy a .625 FSB (NON F Marked) and have a smith taper pin it to the barrel. Dont pick a hack for this work, they will RUIN a pencil barrel right quick if done wrong.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    You could also talk to John Thomas at retro arms works. Not sure if he stocks much in the way of parts, but he is all about authentic.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Indy.

Lots of the kits dont come with barrels and they send used Front Sight Bases. You cant reliably reuse a used/drilled FSB unless you have a really expensive mill, and know how to fit oversize taper pins. Basically a used FSB is junk.

You will need to buy a .625 FSB (NON F Marked) and have a smith taper pin it to the barrel. Dont pick a hack for this work, they will RUIN a pencil barrel right quick if done wrong.

I trust your judgement as a gunsmith, but I have sucessfully reused a few used FSB. It doesn't take much to get it right. Most important is to have a FSB armorers block, but I just made one out of wood. My trick is to super glue the used FSB to the barrel so that it doesn't twist while you're working with it . Then undersize drill and 2-0 taper ream. Ace hardware sells 1" 2-0 taper pins and they work great. Push them in, scribe, push them back out, and cut both ends to length. I have two rifles that have green mountain barrels with used FSB that have not lost zero or shifted in 1500 rounds. I know that's not a life cycle analysis or nearly large enough sample to be an authority, but they were done on a drill press in my basement.

You can get into trouble if the barrel already has pin slots and a mismatched used FSB, but even then, the barrel slots can be tig welded.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Indy.

I would just piece the setup together. Buy the Parkerized/Chrome Lined Green Mountain Barrel.

Buy a NDS Upper and Lower as they come in stock. The finish will match. Lots of places have the other parts like the Teardrop F.A.. The Round Delta Ring can be had from Brownells.

I think Brownells has A1 and 3 prong flash hiders, depending on what you want.

The hard stuff to find can be the correct furniture at times.

Some kits come with in the white barrels that are not parked and not lined and they are just junk.

The parts kits also come with M16 FCGs which MUST be ground and welded in certain areas to be legal for Title 1 AR. Just use a regular AR15 LPK.

Thank buddy I appreciate it! Do you still have pictures of that awesome mini M16 you did with the YHM can on it?

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    You guys may or may not be familiar with a machine gun dealer, David Spiwak. From time to time he will list Colt and other m16a1 uppers from demilled police guns and other sources. I picked up two complete Colt a1 uppers from him in the last year or so. davidspiwak.com if you're interested.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You guys may or may not be familiar with a machine gun dealer, David Spiwak. From time to time he will list Colt and other m16a1 uppers from demilled police guns and other sources. I picked up two complete Colt a1 uppers from him in the last year or so. davidspiwak.com if you're interested.

What do those go for?

Yup, but is far from a Retro.

That thing is so sexy. Do you still have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom