• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Another item that lived for quite a while on my bucket list. I've plodded along searching for either a F. Ascaso or Republica Espanola (RE) Model 400. They were Republican produced clones of the Spanish military standard sidearm, the Astra Model 400. About 8,000 F. Ascaso 400s were built and nearly twice that the RE were built during the SCW. Not easy to find, even when all the Astras were imported. Prices have soared over the last five years and I gave up trying to find one.
    -Then a rough condition RE built example came to auction and I figured it's now or never. Didn't pay that much for it with the 60-70 point condition. But as it turns out, it doesn't have an import mark. So I have to assume either it's a bring back, or an import that missed getting stamped. SN dates it to mid production and it sports the star acceptance mark, applied after a few rounds were successfully run through it. There is also a "V16R" stamp but it's very faint, too much so to photograph. Sports the original hard rubber RE marked grips. Early examples had wooden grips with brass RE logo inserts. Very hard to find.
    -Find it interesting that the caliber mark is very different from Astra: 9 M/M LARGO. This one doesn't have the original RE marked magazine, sports an Astra produced copy. Would be interesting to know how it came to the US but that will have to stay a mystery.

Attachments

• IMGP0081.JPG
      IMGP0081.JPG
      283.6 KB · Views: 44
    • IMGP0082.JPG
      IMGP0082.JPG
      253.5 KB · Views: 47
    • IMGP0084.JPG
      IMGP0084.JPG
      204.7 KB · Views: 39
    • IMGP0085.JPG
      IMGP0085.JPG
      260.9 KB · Views: 41

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What a weird pistol...especially to copy. Maybe the simple blow back action made it easier? It's still a lot of machining.

My grandfather had an Astra. I don't know if it is still in the family. I thought it was a 400, but it was definitely 9mm Luger, not Largo. In addition to its "unique" appearance, I remember the ergonomics being awful (for those of us with big hands used to JMB's sensibilities) which made it unpleasant to shoot. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt to say that is why we found it wildly inaccurate ;) If I remember correctly, the safety was either really stiff or otherwise awkward to use, so it might as well have been carried with an empty chamber. I dunno...I just think that if that is what was issued to me, I'd look for something else...like even a revolver :o

Don't get me wrong, "weird" is cool in its own way...and that one sure is weird.

Thank you for sharing the story of your weird copy of a weird gun :D

Jul 1, 2012
    Your grandpa's Astra was either a 600 or 800 if it was 9x19. Someone was making 9x19 barrels for the 400 at one point a while back though.
    Model 600:
    1b.JPG

Model 800 "Condor", note the external hammer.
    2.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A fair number of West German Police Model 600s chambered for 9x19mm were imported. Grandpa could also have been very fortunate and had a WW2 German issue Model 600. Very collectible. SN range is 500 to 10,500 with a waffenamt stamped near the SN, obviously no "SPAIN" import stamp.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That is a very unique looking handgun... Glad you found what you were looking for.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The Spanish have a gift for unique when it comes to early auto pistols. Get somd_mustangs to show off his Jo-Lo-Ar and Campo Giro. They make the Astra 400 design look a bit pedestrian in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom