• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Okay, MDS gurus. I have searched for information on this and failed. I even contacted the ATF to ask for guidance but have received no answer as of yet.

Here is the question. I have a shotgun I would like to re-finish. The serial numbers are very shallow and my concern is that bead blasting the receiver could obliterate them.

Is it possible to re-mark a receiver with the same serial number?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Okay, MDS gurus. I have searched for information on this and failed. I even contacted the ATF to ask for guidance but have received no answer as of yet.

Here is the question. I have a shotgun I would like to re-finish. The serial numbers are very shallow and my concern is that bead blasting the receiver could obliterate them.

Is it possible to re-mark a receiver with the same serial number?
    Simply etch the numbers a bit deeper into the metal with a good tool. Then, bead blast away.

There is a penalty for obliterating/altering a SS#. But none I’ve ever seen or heard of, for enhancing one.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    BATFE has a knack for using such words (altered) outside there normal meaning. I’d have to do a deep dive in Westlaw to see if that circumstance has been litigated.

I agree with RD that from a practical perspective there is no violation of the intent of the law. I’d go one further to say that if your work were done clean it wouldn’t matter if it made some AUSA squirrelly because they would never know.

But, if you want the BGOS answer, you could have an FFL “enhance” the serial number.

inkd

Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    BATFE has a knack for using such words (altered) outside there normal meaning. I’d have to do a deep dive in Westlaw to see if that circumstance has been litigated.

I agree with RD that from a practical perspective there is no violation of the intent of the law. I’d go one further to say that if your work were done clean it wouldn’t matter if it made some AUSA squirrelly because they would never know.

But, if you want the BGOS answer, you could have an FFL “enhance” the serial number.
    I'm waiting on some guidance now. I got some conflicting info from the ATF (big f'n surprise there).
    No way I am going to try this myself. I don't know what would be the best tool to use and I am pretty sure my hand isn't steady enough.

I called Remington, they won't do it. I took it to a couple engravers locally and neither one would guarantee that they could touch the numbers up clean enough to make it look like it hadn't been done.

I'll just wait for them to call me back and see which way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fooj64

Latest threads

Top Bottom