• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Picked this up at an auction that had several military-marked High Standards... it didn't get much attention, maybe because condition isn't the greatest. But they only made 1042 of them between 1940 and 1942 (the Model H-E was the least-produced HS at 1009 made). These aren't terribly valuable, but for the Mawkie PriceTM it was hard to pass up. It's the first of the "hammer" models so has some historical interest. It feels very awkward to me, maybe the grip angle, but the Woodsman has a similar angle and it feels comfortable. Proof in the pudding will come after cleaning it up and taking it for a spin.
    DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

The rear sight is very interesting, it adjusts elevation by rotating the blade. At the full-back position the sight notch is a wee thing.
    DSC_0116.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Another great find. A model I've never seen before so to get one in good condition is a win. Betting it'll be a good shooter, don't think HS built a bad .22 pistol.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Nice find J!!! They are rare. I've got an H-A with 4.5" barrel and one with a 6.75" barrel. The HE was not actually the least produced. That was the Hammer Series H-D. (Aside from the model S with 14 total) John Simson told me many years ago that actual production count for the H-D was 700. I forget the higher number that he had listed for years. I'm lucky enough to have an H-D also with 4.5" barrel. And an HE with 6.75" barrel. It has the weight of a 1911.

Jul 1, 2012
    I will say this H-A has a hair-trigger, whether it's got issues or that's intentional, not sure. The only other HS I have is a similar era Model B US (a "USB"? LOL). I need to break out some time to tear this down and give it a thorough cleaning and take it out back and see how it rolls.
    I'd only shoot standard velocity in it anyway, but were these strong enough for high velocity?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    No other markings on the top or right of the slide. Serial number dates to 1945.
    That is the Hammer Letter Series USA H-D model with 4.5" barrel. They also came with a 6.75" barrel. 34,000 produced. I thought that they were only produced in 1943, but that may not be correct. Those are the correct hard rubber grips for that gun.
    That is the base gun for the USA H-D MS, or integrally suppressed covert version used by the OSS & later CIA. The gun that Gary Powers had on him when his U2 was shot down in 1960 over Russia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom