• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    According to this article you can plant leftover straw berries and they will grow new plants.

Interesting but I’d want to see what the berries look/taste like before I’d declare this a good idea. I’d bet the original plants are hybrids so the next generation fruits won’t be like the parent.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Tried that this spring, 0 for 20. Maybe I'll dedicate an area to it. keep throwing scraps in there too see what takes in the next year.
    Aren't most grocery store strawberries picked early and artificially ripened with ethylene, like tomatoes? If that's the case, the seeds may not be mature.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Aren't most grocery store strawberries picked early and artificially ripened with ethylene, like tomatoes? If that's the case, the seeds may not be mature.
    That's a good point. My kids picked some out in Davidsonville a couple months ago, I guess I should have kept those.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Find your local orchards or fruit stands and look for local stuff. they should have good seeds on them. My daughter has a friend that parents run one and their seconds she gets are smaller, but so sweet and flavorful. The store ones are puffed on fertilizers or early ripened as explained and lack the same flavor. They are big but pretty plain in comparison.

I got mock strawberries growing all round open wood space here. Reminds me of the real thing, but it is not.

I actually watched this video early in the spring and tried it this year and it did not work. I purposely bought strawberries from Brad's in churchville instead of from the grocery store because I don't know what they spray those grocery store berries with. I could not get the seeds to germinate to save my soul. I tried it a few different ways I tried with a wet paper towel which required me to add water to it three times a day because it kept drying out and I tried putting them on the top of soil and keeping that damp and they just wouldn't germinate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom