questions about Starting out competitive shooting (with one arm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlotMachine

Feb 6, 2012
    Seven Valleys, PA
    I know there are several similar posts like this but I haven't seen one similar to my situation so bear with me.

I have no use of my left arm and can not kneel on my left knee. That being said are there shooting competitions in small bore rifle/pistol that I would still be a fit for or should I not attempt it?

I'd love to check out matches at AGC near me but i'm not yet a member of any clubs (checking a few out now) and my understanding is only members can spectate.

Any input or ideas on this?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I'd love to check out matches at AGC near me but i'm not yet a member of any clubs (checking a few out now) and my understanding is only members can spectate.

I'm not aware of this and can't seem to find it in the AGC Range Rules. My understanding is that spectators must wear eye and hearing protection and stand on or behind the walkway behind the line.

If you mean this: 2. Any range may be closed to non-competitors during a scheduled AGC sanctioned event., that means non-competitors may not shoot, but they can stand around out of the way and watch all they like.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Likewise SASS Duelist class is inherently one handed.

Likewise pretty much any of the defensive/ combat/ action oriented pistol games with *freestyle* shooting stances will permit one hand only shooting , you'll be competing against shooters usually using vaarious two hand stances.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    You won't have any problem with bullseye, particularly freehand.
    Some other practical/tactical disciplines may not allow what you'll need to do to reload.
    I practice one handed reloads for rifle, pistol and shotgun. It's not that hard.
    Certain stages might be a problem if you can't kneel but you might get away with "rice paddy" prone.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I would think you could participate in small bore bench rest shooting. I belong to Seitzland Rifle club in New Freedom PA. Check out their web site and I'm sure you can go and watch matches to get an idea of what you can do. Pm me if you would like to go check out the club.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 218

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    SlotMachine,

Any of the clubs would be glad to have you as a member. Many of the clubs allow members from other clubs to participate in their club shoots. I am a member of Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club. We have two club shoots a month. Ours are fun shoots, but we do have members who compete in the different competitions within the AGC and at competitive shoots throughout the area. I am not sure if you have to be a member of the AGC to compete in the Bullseye pistol matches on Tuesday evenings or not. I believe Garrison on the AGC website runs these. If you want to have some fun, come out to an Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club shoot. We have two shoots a month in either rifle, pistol or trap. Guests are always welcome at our club shoots. We are going to be having a pistol shoot on Sunday July 15th. We have a mix of reactive targets and paper targets to shoot.

Stemmers also has a bowling pin shoot once a month. They are a lot of fun. You have five rounds of shooting at six bowling pins. I have done this twice and had a lot of fun. Check with "Their" to see if you have to be an AGC member to participate in those shoots. I don't believe you do.

Send me a PM if you would like to come out and shoot with us at a club shoot. I have a link to Arlington's website below.

P.S. If you are interested in joining one of the clubs and buying a range badge for the AGC, I would recommend waiting until July 1st to buy your AGC range badge. They are half price after July 1st for new members: $75 instead of $150.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    A quick question to the OP. Can you load a magazine and insert it in the gun while the gun is pointed down range? Same question with a revolver. I would think that it is easier to operate and load a revolver with one hand, but I'm not sure I understand entirely your situation. As long as the gun is pointed down range all the time I do not see an issue.

You do not need to be a member of the AGC to shoot the Tuesday night Bullseye league. 1st round down range is at 6pm so it's good if you get there at least 30 minutes earlier to get your targets set up. I usually get there about 5pm so I can practice a little before the match. I'll be there tonight. Also, if you are interested in joining a club you could join Garrison R&R Club tonight. The Garrison R&R club meeting starts at 8pm (2nd Tuesday each month) and is held right after the league match at the clubhouse on the trap range. I think the cost is $30 initiation fee and $20 annual renewal. After joining a club you can purchase a AGC range badge for $75 for the rest of this year that lets you shoot on all the ranges and whenever the range is open.

The league cost $5.00 per night and that includes targets. If you shoot at least 10 times you will be eligble for the league award banquet.

- You need to bring at least 90 rounds of ammo, but I would bring about 200 rounds so you can get some pratice in before the league match and also have enough for alibies.
    - 2 magazines if you shoot semi auto. Revolvers are loaded with only 5 rounds at a time for the timed and rapid matches.
    - staple gun for posting new targets
    - masking tape to repair targets outside the repair center
    - a pen to keep score (you score yourself at the AGC league)
    - a scope or binoculars is nice to have to ease in making sighting corrections

The course of fire is 3 national match courses. Ten shots per target. Each National Match couse consist of 1 slow fire, 1 timed fire, and 1 rapid fire target). The entire match start to finish last about an hour an a half. It's a pretty relaxing slow pace.

- For slow fire you can shoot either a 50 yards at the standard 50 yard target or at 25 yards at a reduced slow fire target - You get 10 minutes to put your best 10 rounds of ammo shots
    - For timed fire you shoot at 25 yards and you use 2 magazines of 5 rounds each. Timed fire is two 5 shot strings at 20 seconds per string. The targets turn.
    - For rapid fire you shoot at 25 yards and you use 2 magazines of 5 rounds each. Rapid fire is two 5 shot strings at 10 seconds per string. The targets turn.

I also shoot at the 12th precinct on Wednesday nights, which is also open to guest/non members for the league.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    check out steel challenge, also gssf. for the most part you're stationary shooting at stationary targets with no mag changes needed while you're shooting.

you also should be able to do uspsa/ipsc if you shoot in Limited or Open divisions (can use large mags so shouldn't have to reload during most stages). on stages that require more than a mag's worth of ammo of course you won't be competitive at all.

also should be able to shoot in idpa. most stages need mag changes, but you could just fill up your mags and not reload just knowing you won't be competitive score-wise as you will get hit with lots of procedural penalties. idpa also sometimes mandates kneeling, crouching and the like, again, you can shoot without kneeling but will get procedural penalties that will kill your score.

all the above are a ton of fun. if you shoot them just for fun and practice, you will have fun and get great practice.

on a related side note, i saw a video a bit ago showing a top-ranked shooter who had a broken leg. he was on crutches on some stages and also riding one of those small handicapped power carts. he did NOT come in last!!

SlotMachine

Feb 6, 2012
    Seven Valleys, PA
    Thanks for the input all (lost track of this thread due to work and home) I am going to start checking out different events at AGC since it was clarified non-members can watch. I'm sure I'll find something. Thanks Again! :)

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    you could probably shoot flcass which uses a bipod or rest. I shot along side a fella who just lost both legs and no need for left arm other than setting rifle up. PM me if you want more info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom