• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you in advance for helpful information.

Last October, I ordered a complete AR-15 from LaRue. It looks like current wait times from order placed to arrival at FFL is about a year. In response to concerns about a national AWB, LaRue went ahead and shipped out stripped lowers to everyone who has an order with them. This was done so that the regulated component of the rifle would be grandfathered before any potential ban took effect. As of now, I am in possession of a stripped lower from them. When my rifle is ready to be assembled, LaRue will have me ship them the lower they sent me, complete the rifle using that lower, and then ship the completed rifle back to me.

Grandfathering means I can possess that lower or any rifle built upon that lower after 10/1/13. However, I understand that transferring an AR-15 is a bit more tricky.

My question is that if they ask me to send them the lower before 10/1/13 and they ship the completed rifle after 10/1/13, will I be able to take possession of the rifle?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't look at it as a new transfer. More like sending something you already own back to the factory for work and having them return it to you. They should be able to ship it directly to your house.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    When discussing law, you need to define words in legal terms, not common usage. Under the law, transfer means a change of ownership as opposed to moving from one place to another. Since you are maintaining ownership, you are fine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted above , the *transfer* has already taken place. You will be simply shipping your rifle you already own back to the factory for repair and/ or modification.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    What you have here is nothing more then a factory repair of your current "firearm" and can be shipped directly to you no FFl needed. Chris

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the replies. I thought that shipping a gun to someone was also a change of possession and therefore needed to be transferred to that person. I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong. Looking forward to my new LaRue.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As long as LaRue has no issues directly receiving and then shipping a lower back to you, no worries. As others have said you are already in possession of the regulated part and have met all of the legal requirements to own a built rifle on it, prior to the Oct 1 deadline.

However, I've had vendors require that I ship through an FFL because of their misunderstanding of MD laws (and this was prior to SB-281). Check with LaRue before assuming they will send back directly to you via a contract carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom