question for myself on carrying while driving a comercial vehicle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    i am a professional truck driver and have some questions on carrying a sidearm and transport of a rifle on the truck.

one. i have read a lot of the FMCSA rule book and have not seen anything on carrying a sidearm on the truck with me. is there anyone out there that is DOT qualified to answer on whether or not i can actually carry on my truck if my company does not have a SOP against it and what would be need to keep it legal? (some of the areas i go into are not the safest and the loads i haul there are fairly high value)

two. an issue has been brought to my attention where a fellow driver had a level one inspection and had a rifle in the truck without the bolt in the rifle but the bolt was located within arms reach of the rifle and ammunition was also kept within arms reach and the driver is supposedly prior service marine sniper. the level one inspection was done in florida and they claimed that the rifle was not an actual firearm because the bolt was not with it. whether or not they knew about the bolt being within arms reach im not sure. as for the ammo logical thinking would be he plans on using it. not sure why florida DOT said its not an actual firearm but i wasnt there. he was at a range i went to and asked him how he got away with having one in the truck. cause most companies will tell you that it is against company SOP but wont answer about FMCSA and i cant get a straight answer out of DOT enforcement anywhere.

please dont misinterpret my words. i am just a man asking a question that i feel violate my 2A rights as a driver if the rule exist's for my question on the sidearm issue and the other question if the rule does exist how did this driver ive spoken too get away with it. im still learning the driving trade ive been in it for almost three years now and have been looking for answers. thank you in advance for any answers. i am a driver and am currently out on the road and may not be able to respond right away.

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    As far as I know all the same rules apply as if you we're in a car. I do know however a lot of the truck stops I have been to are "no guns allowed " plus going through Illinois and the way the dot guys are there I wouldn't want to get pulled over there.

Feb 28, 2013
    My outfit says no guns on the property. A lot of guys wonder about that, but we're nationwide. Not every state sucks like MD.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    i appreciate the responses my company doesnt have a policy i was just wondering about fmcsa guess i would have to do a lot of research if it is like traveling in a POV. thank you all. guess it would be time to do a lot of research. at least it will give me something to do in my down time. lol

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not addressed by DOT . You would need to comply with each individual state's laws that you deal with.
    If you are doing dedicated runs to a finite number of locations you could very well get all your ducks in a row.

If you are carrying general frieght to/ from misc locations you can easily get tripped up with customer locations having no gun policies , or being dispatched into/ thru anti gun jurisdictions.

Yes , a certain % of drivers have a firearm of some type. Some of them are circumscribed in their parameters so that they are 100% legal. Others cross their fingers.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    It's been five years, but in 2008, there was nothing CDL/commercial specific regarding firearms. You had to go by the regular transport laws, employer rules, and shipper/receiver rules.

That said, I knew a bunch of truckers who were more than happy to have some sort of firearm somewhere in the truck.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Pump action shotgun. Action open and empty. Speedfeed stock and a Mesa Tactical side saddle. Problem solved. And let's not forget a shotgun is still king of the hill as far as close quarters go. But get a "tactical" model with rails so you can mount a light. If you cannot ID the target dont shoot the target.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Just a hint.
    Watch it if you go to any "secure facilities". Bases, gov't agencies, and the like. Most have their own searches and checks.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I do know that maryland does allow carry in your place of your employment with the employers consent or being the owner. I would think the cab would be considered your place of business but Im not a lawyer or play one on tv either.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I do know that maryland does allow carry in your place of your employment with the employers consent or being the owner. I would think the cab would be considered your place of business but Im not a lawyer or play one on tv either.

Lots of kooky rules about the cab and berth.

Mostly written by people who have never spent a few weeks in what my brother called my "prison cell on wheels".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom