• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I personally don't work on homebuilt AK's. Other Smiths may not have the same policy. There is no Law against working on homebuilt guns. After October 1 a gun with no Serial/MFG Markings can be a serious grey area.

Chad - given that many projects which started as 80%lowers likely wont have a serial number or mfg marking, what would you suggest a person do to avoid the grey area? Serious ?, not trying to be a smart ass and I'm new to the AR platform - just don't want o end up with a paperweight if I go this route.

Thanks

---
    Shamr0ck

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    For a Licensed FFL/Gunsmith to work on a firearm and (keep it overnight), he must log the serial number of the repaired firearm into his A&D (Aquisition and Disposal) book.

When he releases the firearm back to you, he would have to log it back out again.

Emergency repairs done same day don't need to be logged in.

No serial number---No repair work. Again, if held overnight.

Hope this helped.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad - given that many projects which started as 80%lowers likely wont have a serial number or mfg marking, what would you suggest a person do to avoid the grey area? Serious ?, not trying to be a smart ass and I'm new to the AR platform - just don't want o end up with a paperweight if I go this route.

Thanks

---
    Shamr0ck

This is a just a personal policy I have.

I believe that there is a margin of safety and diminished risk/liability on my part by only accepting Factory Built/07-SOT Built Firearms. My concern is a home built Receiver will have poor heat treat or improper tolerances/machine work. I mainly apply this to ALL Home Built AK/AKM Pattern Firearms or any gun built off a home built Receiver. AK's take more skill to build properly than people acknowledge and most Home Built AK's are just not right. I don't want my name attached to them.

Im not saying that a home assembled gun like an AR is something I wont work on, but a home assembled AR on an 80% is something I will turn away. Beyond my perceived liability I have no info to put in my Log Book, which BATFE requires a Gunsmith to keep for all modern firearms.

IMO most people who build home builds wouldn't want their weapon listed in a FFL's Log Book as the purpose of many who build them is to keep them "Off the Books" so most don't want to use a Smith anyway so im not really disenfranchising anyone on a large scale with my policies.

There are certain guns that are Factory Built that I wont touch, such a Hesse, Vulcan, Jennings, Lorcin, Hi-Point, Special Weapons, and some Century Built guns.

As far as something I believe is a risk for an individual owner of home built guns is as follows:

1) With no MFG Info/Serial #'s if you have contact with Law Enforcement wether driving to/from a Range, at a Range or whatever, a gun with no markings will be treated as suspect. The LEO may perceive the gun had markings obliterated which is a crime. While you will beat the charge you WONT beat the Ride/Attorneys fees to defend ones self in a Court of Law. It WILL cost you money to defend yourself even if innocent. To avoid this any 80% build of mine I would have engraved with a Serial # and my personal info. Along with that I would print a copy of Federal and State Laws and keep them in the Gun Case so they may be shown to a curious LEO and may save the owner headache if questioned.

2) Post October 1 it wont be lawful to Build an AR15 in Title 1 format unless its an HBAR. Therefore with a 80% build you cant PROVE when it was made if you have contact with Law Enforcement. Again the burden of proof is certainly on the State you WONT be without having to shell out for a Legal Defense. This area is enough for me to avoid ANY 80% lower regardless of when it was made and by whom unless its papered by a SOT/Manufacturer, or if its put on a BATFE Form 1 as a SBR or AOW because then there is Manufacturing Info and PROOF when the Lower was manufactured.

3) In BOTH situations above you will probably lose your firearm permanently and paying an Attorney to recover it will not be cost effective.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Chad - thanks for the answering the question and going the extra mile to pose other things to consider before going down the 80% path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom