• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Hi everyone - new to me event - best friend died and the estate is selling his firearms. The estate is in Howard County and I am in Anne Arundel so no out of state transfer is required.

I have a valid HQL and am a designated collector. I am not blood so I cannot claim inheritance. I will obviously transfer these through a local FFL and go through the MD process. I do have a notarized copy of the State of Maryland Letters of Administration stating that his mother is the executor of the estate.

My question to the forum is the 77R. I would like to set these up prior to going to the FFL to make the process go smoother and they just enter what needs to be entered once I give them the number.

For anyone who has done an intestate estate transfer, what application type do I pick? As stated, I can't do inheritance. Secondary sale wants information about the seller, which is technically now an estate entity. It isn't a gift. I am assuming I would pick "I'm applying for some other purchase type" and upload the data about the firearms (2 handguns and a shotgun) and a copy of the letters of administration.

Has anyone done this and can you help by advising how you did it?

I guess I can just bring everything to the FFL and say "figure it out", but I will still have to initiate a 77R transfer of multiple firearms on the portal.

Thanks!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hi everyone - new to me event - best friend died and the estate is selling his firearms. The estate is in Howard County and I am in Anne Arundel so no out of state transfer is required.

I have a valid HQL and am a designated collector. I am not blood so I cannot claim inheritance. I will obviously transfer these through a local FFL and go through the MD process. I do have a notarized copy of the State of Maryland Letters of Administration stating that his mother is the executor of the estate.

My question to the forum is the 77R. I would like to set these up prior to going to the FFL to make the process go smoother and they just enter what needs to be entered once I give them the number.

For anyone who has done an intestate estate transfer, what application type do I pick? As stated, I can't do inheritance. Secondary sale wants information about the seller, which is technically now an estate entity. It isn't a gift. I am assuming I would pick "I'm applying for some other purchase type" and upload the data about the firearms (2 handguns and a shotgun) and a copy of the letters of administration.

I guess I can just bring everything to the FFL and say "figure it out", but I will still have to initiate a 77R transfer of multiple firearms on the portal.

Thanks!
    The seller is the estate. But in this case you are over thinking it. Go talk to the FFL that is going to facilitate. They'll likely accept the firearms into their inventory and enter them on their bound book. Then initiate the transfer to you, 77r, etc. You'd put it in as a purchase when doing the 77r.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

Thanks!

Good thing is you can do multiple firearms on one 77r. Maybe you know that but the way it was worded I wasn’t sure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since there isn't any involvement of Inheritance of Banned Firearms , this is just a regular sale/ transfer .

FFL would log them as coming from " The Estate of John Doe " , rather than John Doe , person , but from your end , just like any routine purchase/ transfer .

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    The seller is the estate. But in this case you are over thinking it. Go talk to the FFL that is going to facilitate. They'll likely accept the firearms into their inventory and enter them on their bound book. Then initiate the transfer to you, 77r, etc. You'd put it in as a purchase when doing the 77r.
    Not trying to over think it. Just trying to figure out what to do.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Since there isn't any involvement of Inheritance of Banned Firearms , this is just a regular sale/ transfer .

FFL would log them as coming from " The Estate of John Doe " , rather than John Doe , person , but from your end , just like any routine purchase/ transfer .
    Thanks - that is what I was thinking.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Secondary seller option on the transfer portal is looking for a human, not an estate. I will just have the estate rep take them up and plunk them on the counter then.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

Thanks!
    I’m in HC if you don’t have a regular guy.
    Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom