• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What you are not addressing is that these are in fact registered (in most cases, not all though) as a "lower only" or "receiver only" and not a complete firearm. As far as I know, no other firearm is registered in this manor. And this firearm is the #1 firearm on anti-gunners shit-list. Don't you think they would use any "loophole" that they could to prevent more of these falling into the hands of the public?

Do you really think it would be so difficult to add language to any bill to specifically to ban stripped lowers that have not been made and registered into complete firearms? Don't quote me ******** on how this would require committees and such to do it. If they want it, they will get it.

I absolutely hope that you are right, but for my little stash of 6 lowers, it is not a big deal to build and re-register these as completed firearms.

The State of MD cannot change the BATFE definition of what is and what is not a firearm.

Per the BATFE, a receiver is a firearm, it does not need to be reclassified into a pistol, rifle, shotgun, handgun, etc.

18 USC 921(a)(3) said:
    (3) The term “firearm” means

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;

(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or

(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

link to 18 USC 921: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    While I agree that the lower is the registered part, I'm concerned that if it's registered as 5.56 and not "multi", and a cop somehow notices it with an upper with a different caliber than 5.56, this could cause trouble.

Call me paranoid, I know.

Not an issue, there is no codified requirement with regards to caliber.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008

Now... where did I put my spoon.......

5277670_f520.jpg

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    What you are not addressing is that these are in fact registered (in most cases, not all though) as a "lower only" or "receiver only" and not a complete firearm. As far as I know, no other firearm is registered in this manor. And this firearm is the #1 firearm on anti-gunners shit-list. Don't you think they would use any "loophole" that they could to prevent more of these falling into the hands of the public?

Do you really think it would be so difficult to add language to any bill to specifically to ban stripped lowers that have not been made and registered into complete firearms? Don't quote me ******** on how this would require committees and such to do it. If they want it, they will get it.

I absolutely hope that you are right, but for my little stash of 6 lowers, it is not a big deal to build and re-register these as completed firearms.

Here's a thought, do as many builds as you can, I have purchased enough full riles to be covered since I am new at this.. and work to defeat any other gun control in the state.. Work to rollback sb281..

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

Building up a lower is not "manufacturing", any more than changing out the slide, barrel, or even grip panels on a 1911 would be....

Building up a lower by placing an upper with a barrel of under 16" is considered manufacturing a SBR by ATF. I can see the MDSP trying to use similar logic for lowers that are picked up after Oct 1, and saying that all you can do legally is to build them in to a hbar configuration.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    "Registration" is not voluntary, try getting the weapon without filling the paper work or try getting caught with a non registered weapon

"Reregistration"(if there such a thing) is voluntary. says the sheeple, BAAAA BAAAA

I know folks who are former military, that brought their firearms with them when stationed in MD. Finished their time in the military and ended up staying in MD do to new jobs.

None of them registered anything, and to my knowledge none of them will. Several have since sold some of their "regulated" firearms face to face at MSP barracks with no issues what so ever. so they were "caught" selling "unregistered" firearms and never got so much as an odd look.

Speaking of registration, how would you explain all of the "regulated" firearms that were sold before 1994, when the 77R was implemented? Do you think the state required everyone to register those firearms? I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom