• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAC

Hi! Thanks to those who can offer me advice on this.

I have a long gun that I want to send to my brother in Florida.

I have researched interstate shipping laws, and I am so CONFUSED. My brother recommends just shipping it USPS in an unmarked box. I was in Florida last week, and he sent me back with a hard case to ship it in, and told me to just find a box big enough for the case (which is pretty huge), insure it, and send it regular priority mail.

HOWEVER, neither of us are licensed dealers, and I'm not sure that this legal (although my brother swears everyone does it anyway). But in this state right now, I really don't want push my luck. I was actually considering driving into Virginia to actually ship it. This is a very big, very heavy firearm -- so the box may attract attention.

What is the recommended way of getting this firearm to my brother in Florida without it getting stolen, or breaking the law? Can a licensed dealer ship it to another licensed dealer in Florida for me (for a fee, of course)? If so, how safe is this kind of transfer? Has anyone "lost" firearms doing dealer-to-dealer transfers? Neither of us has a criminal background. I have purchased several handguns in Maryland and have passed the background checks. My brother has legally purchased his firearms in Florida, and has a full carry license in Florida. There is nothing shady going on. I just want to give him this firearm, and can't figure out the best to do it.

And I KNOW that the easiest way would be to take it myself, which I had planned on doing when I visited my family a a couple weeks ago, but I was packing my truck in a such a rush before I left that I grabbed the wrong gun case and carried a 22 down I-95 instead of the damn firearm that my brother actually wants (although he did offer to take my 22 off my hands as well -- HA!). I'm not going to back until August or September, and my brother was pretty disappointed when he opened the case and saw a 22, and I felt like a real idiot, because I kept telling him that to avoid the hassle of shipping he had to wait until I drive down, and he's been pretty patient, and then I brought the wrong gun case. So, I kind of owe him now. He's been buying up accessories and he's dying to get his hands on it. I really want to get it to him.

Question: Does the fact that the magazine is missing (my brother has already purchased the magazine) put it into a "non-firearm" category for shipping purposes? My guess is "no", but I figured I'd ask.

Thank you for any and all advice!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Put it in a box and mail it to the nearest FFL. I didn't read your whole post, just know for a fact you can send it UPS with absolutley no issue.

CAC

I believe that shipping it for repair to a manufacturer or licensed repair shop is allowed by FedEx, but they won't accept person-to-person shipments of firearms (unless either the shipper or recipient is FFL).

I think the easiest and safest route is going to be finding a dealer in my hometown, and shipping it to them (for a fee) for my brother to pick up.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Hi! Thanks to those who can offer me advice on this.

I have a long gun that I want to send to my brother in Florida.

I have researched interstate shipping laws, and I am so CONFUSED. My brother recommends just shipping it USPS in an unmarked box. I was in Florida last week, and he sent me back with a hard case to ship it in, and told me to just find a box big enough for the case (which is pretty huge), insure it, and send it regular priority mail.

HOWEVER, neither of us are licensed dealers, and I'm not sure that this legal (although my brother swears everyone does it anyway). But in this state right now, I really don't want push my luck. I was actually considering driving into Virginia to actually ship it. This is a very big, very heavy firearm -- so the box may attract attention.

What is the recommended way of getting this firearm to my brother in Florida without it getting stolen, or breaking the law? Can a licensed dealer ship it to another licensed dealer in Florida for me (for a fee, of course)? If so, how safe is this kind of transfer? Has anyone "lost" firearms doing dealer-to-dealer transfers? Neither of us has a criminal background. I have purchased several handguns in Maryland and have passed the background checks. My brother has legally purchased his firearms in Florida, and has a full carry license in Florida. There is nothing shady going on. I just want to give him this firearm, and can't figure out the best to do it.

And I KNOW that the easiest way would be to take it myself, which I had planned on doing when I visited my family a a couple weeks ago, but I was packing my truck in a such a rush before I left that I grabbed the wrong gun case and carried a 22 down I-95 instead of the damn firearm that my brother actually wants (although he did offer to take my 22 off my hands as well -- HA!). I'm not going to back until August or September, and my brother was pretty disappointed when he opened the case and saw a 22, and I felt like a real idiot, because I kept telling him that to avoid the hassle of shipping he had to wait until I drive down, and he's been pretty patient, and then I brought the wrong gun case. So, I kind of owe him now. He's been buying up accessories and he's dying to get his hands on it. I really want to get it to him.

Question: Does the fact that the magazine is missing (my brother has already purchased the magazine) put it into a "non-firearm" category for shipping purposes? My guess is "no", but I figured I'd ask.

Thank you for any and all advice!

If you ship it to him over state lines you are breaking the law. It must by law go though an FFL in FL. If you ship it directly to him you have committed a crime that could land you in jail and forfeits your right to ever own a gun again. Breaking this law is no Joke it isn't worth saving less then $100 to take that kind of risk.

Thanks
    Robert

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This. Any FFL is Allowed to receive directly from private citizen from any state. Not every FFL Chooses to , so confirm first.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    You can ship/mail your own firearm to yourself directly without using a FLL. As far as shipping it to someone else (family member or not) I cannot say.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Hi
    I have done this recently myself. I used A1 Uniform Firearms,an FFL. They are close to you in Hyattsville.
    For a minimal fee they package it up and ship it to the ffl you choose. Great Folks to deal with. They are an IP here, Contact Greg at 301-277-9100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom