• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AFAIK, they only look for the 30 day flag.

Your medical records are usually not looked at

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    They only ask if you’ve been committed, including voluntary. They dont ask about the length
    this ⬆️. Ik the disqualifiers are “30 days+ voluntary & any time involuntary”.. the question doesn’t specify that tho. I’ve only been a few times, each time was no more than 12 days.
    I’m just wondering how I should answer that question or IF THE STAYS WOULD STILL SHOW IN DHMH even tho they each was voluntary & way under 30 days.
    I KNOW it’s best to be opened about it.. but I’m worried about that making them judge or causing a problem in the process.
    I know the right thing to do is to be up front… but if I can avoid having to bring that time of my life up, I would definitely take that route.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Simple answer, as Jaybeez says, do not lie on your application, you will get your permit. Glad you are in a better place now.

Of course you can speak to a lawyer, and there are a couple things, the MSP is not using the correct terminology in the application, commitment is involuntary(referred to in law as involuntary commitment or involuntary admission), and requires a hearing and usually a court order. If it is in-patient observation or treatment it is considered a voluntary admission, and either formal or informal depending on the written agreement to admit a patient.

the question is "have you ever been committed, voluntarily or involuntarily to a mental health facility". Technically there is no such thing as voluntary commitment, and you are not a prohibited person federally or in MD. So if you answer yes, they should give you your permit provided there is nothing lawfully preventing them from doing that. If you answer no, then there is little if any chance for them to determine this is a falsified answer, and even less chance they pursue it. If they do it's an easily articulable defense that the question only applies to lawful commitment, and that is only defined as involuntary admission, it does not pertain to voluntary admission, so it's a case they likely wouldn't win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom