• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Does anyone know where to buy pyrodex around the Baltimore area? The closest place I've found is york. I've called all my local gun shops and the only one I've found has the pellets not the powder. Looking for powder for my tradition's pioneer .50. Can't be smokeless.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    HNP
    601 Back River Neck Rd in Essex
    410-238-1708
    Small place with A LOT in it, run by a super nice knowledgeable guy. He'll have what you need

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had a traditions Pioneer before I picked up a Thomson center. Pellets in a side lock is not generally a good idea wii the breech shape it can cause a big void if it is a Patent breech which won't let it go all the way down to where the hole channel is. Genuine black powder will get better ignition unless your exacting wig your cleaning.
    When I was a Nube I used pirodex and did not clean the channel often enough and properly and got lots of hang fires , misfires and delay fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    HNP
    601 Back River Neck Rd in Essex
    410-238-1708
    Small place with A LOT in it, run by a super nice knowledgeable guy. He'll have what you need

I think Chip only opens the store on Mon-Wed and Fri. After he and Gary parted ways, I don't know how well Chip has done. There were some worries about his health.

I haven't been there in over 3 years. I hope Chip is doing well.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Pyrodex is not black powder.

It is chemically a smokeless powder.

It isn't a smokeless powder. First of all, evidence of lots of gun smoke. Second if you look up the formula it is about 2/3rds BP (potassium nitrate, sulfur and charcoal) with some potassium perchlorate and a little bit of a couple of of other things.

It isn't either, but it is a substitute in terms of ignition pressure behavior (roughly).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is true Pinecone, but it is marketed as a black powder substitute. It goes into "black powder" guns.

Agreed, but it does not require a black powder license.

BP is a higher class explosive than smokeless powders.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It isn't a smokeless powder. First of all, evidence of lots of gun smoke. Second if you look up the formula it is about 2/3rds BP (potassium nitrate, sulfur and charcoal) with some potassium perchlorate and a little bit of a couple of of other things.

It isn't either, but it is a substitute in terms of ignition pressure behavior (roughly).

Smokeless powder also emits smoke, just less. :)

But yes, it is partially the same as black powder.

But my point was, legally it is treated as a smokeless powder, not the same regs as black powder for transportation and storage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Smokeless powder also emits smoke, just less. :)

But yes, it is partially the same as black powder.

But my point was, legally it is treated as a smokeless powder, not the same regs as black powder for transportation and storage.

Try that. I just wish it didn't require a hazardous shipping cost still :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom