• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I got tired of dumping the contents of 5-6 vinyl pouches onto the workbench,, then rifling through the pile looking for the correct punch.
    Made a quick prototype "Punch block",, next one I will make out of pine (laser burns the lettering darker),, and squeeze it in to make it about an inch smaller each direction.
    Also, I'll vector trace each character to give it a darker outline

DSCN0640.JPG

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Just curious, what laser device/product did you use to label the block. BTW, I think it looks very good.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    That looks great.
    I use an old cigar box in a tool chest second drawer top box left side and have to go all right left through it when I look for a punch.
    It always seem the tiniest ones that I need the most often, are somehow broken off.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Just curious, what laser device/product did you use to label the block. BTW, I think it looks very good.
    An older Epilog Radius. 24" x 18" bed, 30 watt.
    I picked it up from and closing sign shop, about 6 years ago,, for $1000 because it was not working.
    The Radius model is cheap because they no longer support it - parts wise. So I had to rebuild the servo encoder and get it running.

I has been running great without a hickup for 6 years now.
    My son does custom leather wallets and uses it a lot, that is his messy work area.

DSCN0644.JPG

DSCN9337.JPG

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    what diameter are your holes?
    They are all 3/8" ,, except the top row, the right 3 I drilled 1/2" for some odd tools, such as a CZ specific starter.
    I did use forester bits for clean holes.

I am standardizing on "Grace USA" punches,, the handles are all slightly less than 3/8", but more important, all the same size.
    The roll pin standard lenth and "pin holder" punches are Wheeler,, and the handles get larger with each punch size.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Great idea! That said, if I were to do this, I would bore the holes at a slight angle to keep the punches from falling out and wall mount the block.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Made a quick prototype "Punch block"...
    VERY NICE!

Might I suggest a rectangular block shape for your next example? Easier to reach the punches and also more shelf-friendly.

You might also vary the depth of the holes - deeper holes in front, more shallow holes in back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom