• ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

The statute clears says public school:

§4–203. (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not: (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person; (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State; (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State;

Yet I have heard many people make the argument that private schools are included in CC sensitive places. Can someone please help clear up the confusion?

Thanks a lot.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Good question
    school definition.png

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Interesting - this suggests that Colleges and Universities are not included in definition of "public" schools whether they are public or private.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    But State run Colleges and University can be considered state institutions. If personnel at say UMCP are considered state employees the state could make rules. Again I do not know if State Colleges and Universities in MD follow that hierarchy like other states.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So you think private schools (k-12, colleges and universities) is not gray? If so, is carry allowed or disallowed IYO?
    Private unless they have sign I would venture to risk it. Only concern I would have is LEO not knowing the full law and the confrontation that would come if some saw.

Mrlexed88

Amateur Race Car Driver
    Nov 28, 2016
    Harford
    You can carry in a private school with permission. You'll never get permission. lol
    I asked a friend that’s teacher at a private school if she asked permission to the pastor. Her response was the No because she would be concealed and wouldn’t want any other staff or students knowing. Apparently a lot gets discussed in teachers lounges. Most of it anti-2A. I have carried when visiting her at the private school but it’s been concealed and when classes aren’t in session. However I limit my time there and avoid walking into the building.
    Personally I don’t want to be called out by any Karen’s and have an unnecessary lockdown situation. Some of these kids are already traumatized.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Why are we so intuned to keep testing unproven waters? You can tell the pioneers form everyone else as the pioneers have the arrows in their backs. When in doubt, take the safer course of action when given a choice between two or more options.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    First I've heard of this. Do you have any statutes that speak to this?

The statute. Was already posted in this thread. . To recap , the Statute is written to apply to Public Schools , and further defines Public School for this context .

That said that it's * Legal * , but the smart money presumption is that every teacher and school administrator is woke , and if spotted you will quickly be the guest of honor at a full panic school lockdown .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    First I've heard of this. Do you have any statutes that speak to this?
    Didn't write it down, but it was mentioned in my LEOSA class this week. It doesn't pertain to me because I don't have anything to do with private schools and really paid no attention. But he said good luck getting permission.
    I did find out that some sports venues around allow LEOSA carriers, like whatever the U of M stadium is now, Camden Yards, the Verizon center and a couple other places. These were verified by MPCTC with the chiefs of security at the places. But again, didn't pay too much attention because I don't go to those places.

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    NOT A LAWYER…..

Before doing something stupid….
    Read through the definitions for child care and childcare center.

Make your own educated decision.

Not a lawyer and I was looking to figure out if my my kids before and after care was legally a child care because it’s a privately own facility but school sponsored.

To my recollection some of it ‘could’ apply to private schools(K-12) that are not colleges/universities. Been a bit but something to look into.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    And keep in in mind that sensitive place are gong to be further litigated in the future. Justice Thomas already stated in the Bruin decision that sensitive places where firearms may be limited by the state are:
    1. Court Houses
    2. Polling places
    3. Government office buildings
    4. STUDENTS in public schools.

Apparently there was a regulation in the University of Virginia during the appropriate time period that forbid students from bringing firearms to school to prevent them from dueling. That does not presently reflect the laws of the state of Maryland. Anybody any to be a test case? ( not me!!!!!)

In the interest of pubic education, can anyone on this forum cite the locations in Maryland where carry of personal firearms by average law abiding citizens are forbidden even without signage stating such?

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Private schools should be fine but watch for the daycare clause since that's listed as a restriction and many private schools have them.

MichTR

Mar 4, 2023
    San Jose
    And keep in in mind that sensitive place are gong to be further litigated in the future. Justice Thomas already stated in the Bruin decision that sensitive places where firearms may be limited by the state are:
    1. Court Houses
    2. Polling places
    3. Government office buildings
    4. STUDENTS in public schools.

Apparently there was a regulation in the University of Virginia during the appropriate time period that forbid students from bringing firearms to school to prevent them from dueling. That does not presently reflect the laws of the state of Maryland. Anybody any to be a test case? ( not me!!!!!)

In the interest of pubic education, can anyone on this forum cite the locations in Maryland where carry of personal firearms by average law abiding citizens are forbidden even without signage stating such? My classmates and I had a debate with our curator on how much this complies with state laws. We pay for papers from professional writers https://papersowl.com/pay-for-papers to better prepare for a dispute. But despite our arguments, so far the administration cannot give a final decision. We point out that we are not violating the satata law, but we are told that the administrations of universities, colleges and schools can make special rules for carrying firearms. I would like to better understand this issue.
    I'm sure students in public schools were banned from carrying firearms in the past.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My understanding is that in the not so distant past, firearms were found in local high schools. There were rifle teams, and shooting ranges, in schools like the old Blair high school.

In more rural areas, it was reasonably common for high school students to have hunting rifles in their vehicles at school.

It's only in the past 30 or so years that we as a nation have devolved to the current disturbing level. One can only wonder how such a degeneration could have come about so swiftly.

My conclusion is that it correlates with the decoupling of personal responsibility from one's actions. Blame no longer attaches to actions for select groups.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , a bit more than 30yrs ago , but certainly within certainly within living memory .

The rifle ranges in school basements died out with the Vietnam era liberal anti war rage against Jr ROTC . ( By the time JROTC made partial comeback , on premesis shooting ranges were too yucky to consider .)

Discrete transport of .22 or Shotgun before or after school hunting was technically against the rules in mid to late '70s . But it was done , not particularly secret .

In the same way that all knives were verboten . In the pocket , not getting stupid , looked the other way . Except for all the times a Teacher needed to cut something , and asked to borrow my pocket knife .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom