• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So here's a legit question, or at least to me it seems like a legit question:

I own many handguns that did not originate in Maryland and to my knowledge are not entered into any system anywhere. Those would still be perfectly legal for me to carry, but if they run the serial number, they aren't going to get anything back. What then?
    Stolen gun checks are run through NCIC, not the MD database

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    What brand combo mag/gun holster was he using?
    blaster229 may know. During one of his classes he showed and stated he has purchased and purchased many belts and holsters to see if they work for him. Fortunately, because of that he gave good insight on the fads and the truly good ones.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    blaster229 may know. During one of his classes he showed and stated he has purchased and purchased many belts and holsters to see if they work for him. Fortunately, because of that he gave good insight on the fads and the truly good ones.
    He’s a gear whore.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Going back to 2007 I have had 3 traffic stops with msp and unloaded long guns visible in the car. All 3 times they ran numbers. The incident where I was carrying a handgun on my property, they removed it from the holster on my belt, unloaded it and checked numbers. Seems like something the boss has told them to always do. Now it’s getting more complicated for them. I suspect they will change their policy on checking numbers in the near future. Hopefully before any misunderstandings occur.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    This is interesting.

CA CCW allows for 3 handguns that are recorded by SN on the CCW. I would assume that somewhere in the process the SN's would have been checked before issuing the CCW.

If pulled over then you provide your DL along with your CCW and let the LEO take direction from there. In the event the LEO wants to check, the matching of your firearm to the CCW can be done on the spot. You then have 24 hours to contact the Chief LEO to inform them of the LEO contact.

I'm not saying this is the best way or that MD should go this route. But, there has to be a better way than what I saw in that long assed video. Everyone involved in that video has better things to do.

Peace!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is interesting.

CA CCW allows for 3 handguns that are recorded by SN on the CCW. I would assume that somewhere in the process the SN's would have been checked before issuing the CCW.

If pulled over then you provide your DL along with your CCW and let the LEO take direction from there. In the event the LEO wants to check, the matching of your firearm to the CCW can be done on the spot. You then have 24 hours to contact the Chief LEO to inform them of the LEO contact.

I'm not saying this is the best way or that MD should go this route. But, there has to be a better way than what I saw in that long assed video. Everyone involved in that video has better things to do.

Peace!
    I would think it’s unconstitutional to limit the guns you are able to carry. What’s the point?

Though I’m sure MD is studying CA.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is interesting.

Peace!
    Sometimes, I'm just in a MA Duece mood though. Then what....

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    This is interesting.

Peace!
    LoL, I'm pretty sure some folks here carry more than three at the same time.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Can it be a violation of rights if they hold you longer then necessary to write the ticket because they are running the s/n of a legal gun because they are looking for a crime to charge you with.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sometimes, I'm just in a MA Duece mood though. Then what....
    CLEO would smack your MA Duece, quash your CCW application, and proclaim you a Duecebag! :D
    Already been done by those who tried to get CCW's for AR pistols, AK Drago's, etc. Right there on the website for Sac Co., not acceptable, anyhow.

Like I said I really don't get it. To get a CA CCW you have to apply, get interviewed, background checked (arrests, citations, convictions; no work or personal contacts), attend the class and qualify. Issuance is at the discretion of the CLEO. The whole process costs about 500 bucks or so; less for a renewal. Any criminal would save the 500 and just be a criminal.

So why obsess over SN's carried by a CCW holder? IIRC SN's were not mandatory until the 1960's (maybe for long guns only, IDK). So from a Bruen historical perspective; get off my lawn.

On another note; I wonder how many times SN's have been actually useful in solving shootings?
    Tracking something that's stolen, I get that, but for shootings/murders? I've yet to see any stats on this and perhaps LEO's on here can provide input.

PS: bring your Ma Duce to the ES and I'll see if I can work out a firing lane!:eek:

Peace!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    CLEO would smack your MA Duece, quash your CCW application, and proclaim you a Duecebag! :D
    Already been done by those who tried to get CCW's for AR pistols, AK Drago's, etc. Right there on the website for Sac Co., not acceptable, anyhow.

Like I said I really don't get it. To get a CA CCW you have to apply, get interviewed, background checked (arrests, citations, convictions; no work or personal contacts), attend the class and qualify. Issuance is at the discretion of the CLEO. The whole process costs about 500 bucks or so; less for a renewal. Any criminal would save the 500 and just be a criminal.

So why obsess over SN's carried by a CCW holder? IIRC SN's were not mandatory until the 1960's (maybe for long guns only, IDK). So from a Bruen historical perspective; get off my lawn.

On another note; I wonder how many times SN's have been actually useful in solving shootings?
    Tracking something that's stolen, I get that, but for shootings/murders? I've yet to see any stats on this and perhaps LEO's on here can provide input.

PS: bring your Ma Duce to the ES and I'll see if I can work out a firing lane!:eek:

Peace!
    I think it might have something to do with looking for spooky ghost guns. Any way you shake it, it's bulshit.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Going back to 2007 I have had 3 traffic stops with msp and unloaded long guns visible in the car. All 3 times they ran numbers. The incident where I was carrying a handgun on my property, they removed it from the holster on my belt, unloaded it and checked numbers. Seems like something the boss has told them to always do. Now it’s getting more complicated for them. I suspect they will change their policy on checking numbers in the near future. Hopefully before any misunderstandings occur.
    If Im carrying on my property, police arent doing shit without a warrant. Private Property is just that. Private.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    In what way has it gone out the window?

He had gun stickers on his car, let's ask him if he has a gun. Eh, ok, fair enough, officer safety, even though we initiated a traffic stop for speeding

He says he has a gun, but his hands are visible and he is obeying commands.

"Sir, don't reach for yours and we won't reach for ours. Here is your warning/citation. Have a nice day" Is how that should have gone.

Ok, we wanna see your carry permit. We wanna run the serial number. And any argument increases the chance of this going very bad very quickly a la Philandro Castile.

Until it becomes common perception that citizens have AS MUCH RIGHT to be armed as police, then Bloomberg etc. are still winning.

Nothing against the troopers. They didn't do anything wrong or illegal. This is a common perception issue. IMHO
    Illegal no, wrong yes, it is wrong to disarm a legal citizen. They say for officers safety, but what about the citizens safety. Our safety is the reasons we choose to carry to begin with.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I would think it’s unconstitutional to limit the guns you are able to carry. What’s the point?

Though I’m sure MD is studying CA.
    IDK, none of this makes sense to me, but it's likely based on laws/interpretations of laws and IANAL.

Funny thing:
    Utah CCW contains my photo and so on, but no firearm info.
    CA CCW looks like something from a Cracker Jack box; no photo but with firearm info.
    Asked my instructor about that and was told to STFU; be happy you got a CA CCW.

LOL

Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom