• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    They can be ordered, but in order for us to getthem we have to order a specific $$ amount in guns.

We only order them if we have enough interest. Mainly 24/7's

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    WESTMD said:
    I read on THR that Taurus is stop making the MD compliant guns. I hope it is a rumor but I have not been able to find out for sure.

Where did you read this and what was their reasoning?
    There are several gunshops in my area that carry Taurus guns ... just not the PT-1911. I initially thought it was due to availability, but I'm seeing them pop up more and more in other states and on the internet.

I've owned several Taurus pistols in the past and have always been very happy with them all. That's a real shame if what you're saying is true. :(

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I read about Taurus not selling MD compliant handguns on The High Road Forum. I was searching MD and it was on a Thread about MD, but I do not remember which one. I did call my local FFL and he said that he can order the PT1911, but that it did not have the internal lock, just the spent shell casings. He said that he could put on a Omega or similar lock, but that he is not going to do this for any handguns. He said that the state can come back on him if the owner takes the external lock off and does not put it back on and the gun is stolen. I asked him how he came to this conclusion and he said that the State Police instructed him of this policy.:mad: He claims that it is just too much liability to offer the external locks. Sounds a little funny to me, but it is his shop. He also stated that the PT1911 has a 8 month backorder at this time. I guess I will have to go to Hendershots in Hancock if I want to get one. I have heard that they will sell the handguns with the external locks.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    WESTMD said:
    I read about Taurus not selling MD compliant handguns on The High Road Forum. I was searching MD and it was on a Thread about MD, but I do not remember which one. I did call my local FFL and he said that he can order the PT1911, but that it did not have the internal lock, just the spent shell casings. He said that he could put on a Omega or similar lock, but that he is not going to do this for any handguns. He said that the state can come back on him if the owner takes the external lock off and does not put it back on and the gun is stolen. I asked him how he came to this conclusion and he said that the State Police instructed him of this policy.:mad: He claims that it is just too much liability to offer the external locks. Sounds a little funny to me, but it is his shop. He also stated that the PT1911 has a 8 month backorder at this time. I guess I will have to go to Hendershots in Hancock if I want to get one. I have heard that they will sell the handguns with the external locks.

No offense to you WESTMD, but the explanation you were given is a load of crap. :sad20:

Springfield designs their internal locking system in the MSH.
    Though I'm sure Springfield probably won't admit that this was done intentionally to offer the owner the option of easily replacing it with a standard NON-locking MSH, I'm personally convinced that this is the case.

IMO, if someone wants to steal a handgun and use it to committ a crime, they will find a way to remove whatever locking device there is ... internal or external.
    As far as this being a "liability" to the manufacture or the gunshop who sold the gun ... that's just BS. :rolleyes:

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I agree that what I was told was crap, but as I said it is his shop and I guess he can be as cautious as he wants to be. There is so much misinformation out there about the MD regulated firearm rules. It seems every 01 FFL that I talk with has a different view of what MD compliant means. One example is that I went into one shop and the guy had new (used) handguns. Basically he was having another dealer in another state fire the guns and transfer them into MD. Another example is that the same dealer who told me about the PT1911 makes me wait 10 days for any handgun purchased. The law says 7 days which he says the state police say is 7 business days. Any input into this from downstate would be appreciated. He will not budge on this but I would like to know if this is just him being cautious again or this is the official policy. On the upside he really does give me great deals on the firearms that I purchase from him. I do have the PT1911 on my wish list and I guess I will have to find a dealer who will work with me to purchase it in MD.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    WESTMD said:
    I agree that what I was told was crap, but as I said it is his shop and I guess he can be as cautious as he wants to be. There is so much misinformation out there about the MD regulated firearm rules. It seems every 01 FFL that I talk with has a different view of what MD compliant means. One example is that I went into one shop and the guy had new (used) handguns. Basically he was having another dealer in another state fire the guns and transfer them into MD. Another example is that the same dealer who told me about the PT1911 makes me wait 10 days for any handgun purchased. The law says 7 days which he says the state police say is 7 business days. Any input into this from downstate would be appreciated. He will not budge on this but I would like to know if this is just him being cautious again or this is the official policy. On the upside he really does give me great deals on the firearms that I purchase from him. I do have the PT1911 on my wish list and I guess I will have to find a dealer who will work with me to purchase it in MD.

I've always had to wait 7 business days.
    I've never really understood the point of that, but then again, I've never really understood the purpose of most of the Maryland State laws regarding firearms. :rolleyes:

I was in my local gunshop yesterday, and the topic of the new Taurus 1911 came up. I told the owner about the things I had read here and he agreed it was total BS. The only thing he said was that the gun had to be approved by the State of Maryland to make sure it doesn't fall into the "Saturday Night Special" catagory before he would be permitted to place any orders.
    When I questioned the fact that it didn't have an internal locking system, he said that didn't mean he couldn't sell it ... he would just be required by the state to include and external lock with each purchase.

This sounds MUCH more reasonable to me. :)
    ________
    Harley-Davidson XL1200

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Dino said:
    but then again, I've never really understood the purpose of most of the Maryland State laws regarding firearms. :rolleyes:

To discourage the safe and lawful possession and use of firearms, Isn't that obvious?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I was wondering about the seven day waiting period and so I looked up the actual wording in the list of state laws they provide with the C&R FFL. It just says 7 days and says nothing about businiess days.

I vaguely recall the details about when my neighbor sold his handgun to a friend and they went through the state police for the background check. I think it was seven actual days and not seven business days.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I've always had to wait 7 business days.
    I've never really understood the point of that, but then again, I've never really understood the purpose of most of the Maryland State laws regarding firearms.

Well you know.....just because you already own a dozen or so guns doesn't mean you'll use THOSE guns to commit a crime. Everybody knows you need to buy a NEW gun to commit that "special" crime and making you wait a week might prevent you from doing that.Right, right?????:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom