• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    New to compound bow area. Picked up above at 60# 29" draw.

Need help on arrow selection. Fletching - plastic or feather type? How many? Length? Arrow composite? Where to buy?

Didn't realize there were so many selections.

The arrows will be used primarily for range/hunting. Don't want to break the bank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Plastic fletching for me. I picked up a used compound, it came with aluminum arrows, which is fine, but I would have preferred carbon. Take your bow with you to an archery shop and draw the bow with one of their measuring arrows. Then purchase six of them to start out. You can buy others on line after you get these. Get field points and broadheads in the same weight. Enjoy.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I buy my arrows in a 12 pack box from Dick's and usually get good deals on them. I use a Carbon 400 and 2117 Easton Aluminum GameGetters with Muzzy 100 broadheads. I'm not a big fan of the carbon arrows, but, if they have them dirt cheap with the red label I buy a box. 2112 are considered logs by todays standards, but, that's what I know they kill Deer just fine.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It comes down to preference...Id get a dozen carbon arrows...they are more forgiving when shooting targets or animals. match the brand of arrow you want to the draw weight and length...100grain field tip and 100 grain broadhead. blazer vanes/plastic

its best to go to a good archery shop near you and have them make them up for you.

For gold tip here is a chart

http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Arrow Type - I would go with a carbon arrow. I started with aluminum and held on to it for years, once I switched to carbon, I won't go back. Your arrow length will depend on the rest position. If your arrow is 29" or less, a .400 spine arrow should work if you are using a 100 grain field point/broadhead. Spine is a measure of deflection, a lower number means less deflection meaning a stiffer arrow. Different brands use different identifiers so it is important to look at the actual spine value (a 250 may not be a spine of .250 and may just be a model identified).

Arrows weight different amounts in terms of grains per inch (gpi). I like to go with an arrow that when done (tip, insert, nock, fletching) winds up around 400 - 420 grains. Some guys shoot lower for more speed, some shoot heavier for more energy/momentum. A lighter arrow will be faster but louder. A heavier arrow will be a bit slower, but will carry more energy and will make the bow quieter. I like to stay between 6 and 6.5 grains per pound of draw weight personally. 50 pounds would be 300-325 grain arrow and 60 pounds would be 360-390 grain arrow. This is really personal preference as either light/fast or heaver/not as fast out of a modern compound will be more than enough to kill a deer.

The straighter the arrow the more it will cost. Looking at Gold Tip Hunters they come in .006, .003, and .001 straightness. MSRP on the Gold Tip site per dozen is $95 (.006), $115 (.003), and $160 (.001). I usually go with arrows in the .003 range, but to be honest, I have also shot the .006 Expedition Gold Tips and not really noticed a difference.

Number of Arrows - Unless you are looking to try more than one arrow, I would get a dozen.

Arrow Brand There are a lot of good arrows out there from Gold Tip, Easton, Carbon Express, Victory, Carbon Tech, and Beman. I have only shot Gold Tip Hunters and Easton Axis. Both are durable and perform great for me. I like the Easton Axis better, but the Gold Tip is cheaper. I am happy with either.

Fletching - I personally like plastic vanes, but others prefer feathers. I used Blazer Vanes in a right offset for years and they worked great. I recently got a dozen arrows with 3" Flex Fletch SK-300 vanes and am really liking how they perform.

With vanes you can go straight fletch, offset, or helical. I would only do straight fletch if you have a whisker biscuit type rest. Offset gives you a bit more stability in flight and will work with most rests. Helical gives you the most stability but can also cause a bit more noise and can cause loss of speed. I have never used helical so I can't comment on how much you will notice. I have never used anything but three vanes, some guys use four.

If you are only shooting field points and mechanical broadheads you can get away with "less" fletching. That said, I think a well tuned bow will shoot any decent head accurately and I have never had a problem with broadhead flight fixed or mechanical.

Where to Buy - I have used a local pro-shop and South Shore Archery Supply (online). I will continue to buy from South Shore as the finished product is as perfect as I have ever seen and they get them to you quickly. I see you are in Calvert County. Check out Bay Pro Shop on Route 260 (right where it hits Route 4). There may be other shops in Calvert, but I just don't know them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom