Proposed repeal of Pittman Robertson Act - Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The proposal is a death knell. Among other things, the PR Act directly supports the hunter safety program, something required to hunt in many states. I've been an instructor for 28+ years, and can attest to the program's effectiveness. 11% tax saving is peanuts when compared to what firearm enthusiasts pay for their actual gear. The R's who are voting for this are wrong headed IMHO.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    As someone who has benefited from both ends of the P-A Act monies, I think repealing it would be a bad idea. Yes, taxation is theft...but as mentioned, this is the ONE instance where I approve of my tax monies being spent. From the article, re: how the money is spent

• Wildlife Restoration grants: 79 percent,
    • Basic Hunter Education grants: 20 percent
    • Enhanced Hunter Education grants: 1 percent
    • Traditional multi state grants: $8 million
    • Administration: $12 million
    That's pretty damn good use of my money.

Also, see this little tidbit:

The Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act (16 U.S.C.A. 669 et seq) was passed in 1937. The legislation took an existing excise tax on firearms and reallocated the proceeds to a grant fund for state wildlife agencies

So the P-A Act took an existing BAD tax, and turned it in to a good one (as good as a tax can get). You know damn well that if this tax is taken away, they'll just add a new (bigger) one on guns and ammo, and use it for the same BS that they always do....sh!t we hate paying for.

I need to look up some of those bill sponsors and write them a letter.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Good lord.

Pittman Robertson is the only tax the government ever managed to put directly into supporting the outcomes it promised. This would be a disaster for hunting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It wasn't to long ago, the feds wanting to tax all of our 401 and IRAs.

The feds want to gobble up as much tax money they can get their hands on to line their pockets with.
    I think the taxation of 401(k) and IRA money was vastly misunderstood. There is no way they could tax that money before it was withdrawn. However, they wanted to reduce the AGI limitations for contributors, which would have made contributions taxable income IF you were still dumb enough to make those contributions if you were over the AGI limits. That proposal failed.

Then, Biden wanted to do away with the step up in basis upon the death of a taxpayer. That is dead too, no pun intended.

We can have a long discussion about all the ridiculous taxes out there. I spend a good amount of my life trying to avoid them and help my clients avoid them.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I know exactly how I feel about it.
    It’s fvcked up. It’s a tax that goes to a great cause and if it’s removed will be gone forever. Then our resources will start drying up. The let nature have its way people don’t understand how involved people need to be to ensure the health and continued success of all species.

Species come and species go, it has been occurring for billions of years. Humans have only been around for a short amout of time, we should have a couple of million years to go or we could die out with the 2028/29 meteor hitting the planet.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Species come and species go, it has been occurring for billions of years. Humans have only been around for a short amout of time, we should have a couple of million years to go or we could die out with the 2028/29 meteor hitting the planet.
    True but humans have had a very negative impact on species and land in the US and this was a great way to turn back much of the damage.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    True but humans have had a very negative impact on species and land in the US and this was a great way to turn back much of the damage.

The evils of mankind cannot be attributed to one nation or another.

I would recommend higher user fees for those using these national treasures.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Taxation is theft, it's an infringement and excessive tax on a civil right. It should go, but there are probably thousands of infringements I would rather see go first. Hughes amendment, NFA, GCA, and the ATF would top the list

Us F&W budget is about 2.5 billion, parks are about 4.5, should be easy to find that in the 40 billion we spend each year on foreign aid.

Last edited:

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    dunno about you guys, but I have mixed emotions.

as a life long hunter, I started around the age of 8-9 or so, I’ve never really minded this because it helped for hunting And fishing, etc. to an extent, I still don’t mind paying…

now, as I watch hunters, who have paid these taxes be displaced from the areas that benefit, or get treated like second class users of the public space. I dislike it for that reason.

also, as I see the waste of the government I like it less. And is I see gov blame gun owners in general for “gun violence”, I like it less so…

in general, the actions of some part of government alienates us gun/hunting folks, and I become to be less nice and desire to pay less in.

the pictures below are from a place named after key Pittman , the co sponsor.

BBDFAEA1-69DF-488F-81D9-6248A3F1B9EC.jpeg
    8E7AB05B-4383-4FCA-9888-20FF297C7240.jpeg
    688C26B4-3D49-4844-A2F5-B5A0F3EF8A86.jpeg

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The evils of mankind cannot be attributed to one nation or another.

I would recommend higher user fees for those using these national treasures.
    When we are talking about a US tax that helps to reverse a wrong done in the US then yeah it can be attributed to the one nation we are discussing. These “National Treasures “ so applicably put are worth protecting and I welcome the tax. If they do away with it the resources will dry up and I’m not ok with that. If I’m paying in more than others that’s cool. Not saying I don’t understand your point of view. I feel the same way about many taxes. Just not this one

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When we are talking about a US tax that helps to reverse a wrong done in the US then yeah it can be attributed to the one nation we are discussing. These “National Treasures “ so applicably put are worth protecting and I welcome the tax. If they do away with it the resources will dry up and I’m not ok with that. If I’m paying in more than others that’s cool. Not saying I don’t understand your point of view. I feel the same way about many taxes. Just not this one
    Maybe? The issue right now is many users pay zero fees. Only hunters and fishermen do. Campers sometimes. Hikers, birdwatchers, sightseers, picnickers, bikers, trailer riders, and many shooters do not.

We could change it to all public land users have to pay an access fee. The use would also likely drop dramatically.

Though there has been a strong argument that things like hiking, camping gear, and binoculars should also pa PRA taxes. Or the taxes should be reduced and make up the revenues by taxing those other things for PRA uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom