• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I'm creating this thread in the hopes that it will save someone some money one day.

When I was at a gun show in VA, I wanted to pick up some ruger 10/22 mags. My plan was to just get a couple of those new ruger made 25 round banana mags, but when I was at a magazine vendor, something beautiful caught my eye...

It was a drum magazine for my 10/22. Specifically, a Promag 50 round black poly drum.

Now, honestly, I think drum magazines are pretty silly. I absolutely see the utility of having that much ammo all ready to go, but they're bulky and kind of defeat the point of a light maneuverable rifle. That's all opinion and your milage may vary.

Nevertheless, it was soooo cool looking that I stupidly bought it on impulse. Got one of the 25 round mags too, thankfully.

Got home, read the 1 page manual, and started loading it.

Here's where the fun began:
    1. As soon as I started loading, I noticed that each round I fed would tip a little further down. By the time I Was 10-15 rounds in, the bullets were obviously tilting such that they would drive into the magazine wall instead of up the feed ramp. Shaking and smacking of all kinds didn't help.
    2. So, I started feeding the bullets out. Once the follower got to the end of the "Drum" part of the drum, there was no longer spring pressure on the remaining rounds. They fell out easily via gravity, and the follower was stuck down in the magazine.

I released the follower by pulling the spring compression lever back a little and letting it fly, so I know the stupid follower can make it back up the magazine. Once I clear this up, the follower doesn't stick in the drum anymore, even when I pull it down into the drum using the lever.

It's only when I, God forbid, "Load bullets" that the follower tilts and gets stuck this way.

So, reread everything I could find, and learned that, assuming my magazine isn't completely defective, using the correct ammo (CCI and Federal or something) is the only way to get the magazine to work. Since .22 is so scarce, I bought the first 2000 round box I could find for a decent price, and guess what? It's not one of those two magic brands.

My ammo feeds perfectly out of the stock magazine and the 25 round banana, so I'm not exactly in a hurry to buy more .22 (unless I can find a deal, then yeah I'm gonna jump on that s***).

I'll probably buy a small box of federal or CCI just to confirm that I don't have a defective product, but in summary, I cannot recommend this product to ANYONE. It fits weird in the mag well so it's hard to swap out. It looks really cool and feels very sturdy, but that's about it.

Ok, I've ranted. To be fair, the manual does state very clearly that the magazine only works properly when used with certain brands of ammo :rolleyes:. If anyone has any experience with it and can tell me what brands of ammo have worked, I'd love to hear about them so I know what to buy. If I can get this thing out to the range and shoot with it, I won't feel quite as awful about buying.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    There needs to be a sticky on EVERY gun forum that warns all newbies to NOT BUY PROMAGS. They are pricey doorstops, nothing more. Unfortunately, there is invariably one or maybe 2 people who have acceptable experiences with them, and then feel the need to share how they saved $10 and their promags work just fine.

I fell for such advice once on 2 promags for a P229. Neither would hold 12 rounds (11 in 1, 10 in the other...they were both supposed to be 12 rounders), they jammed all the time, etc.

Do NOT spend $500 or more on a firearm and then put cheap-ass mags in it and expect it to run.

There ARE aftermarket companies like ACT Mags (for things like a Sig220) and MecGar and such. But otherwise, factory is the way to go on virtually everything.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    OP, I did not have the *same* experience, but my problem was feeding. What I did to fix this issue, was sand down the feed lip, and now it seems to eat anything and everything.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Yeah it sucks. I thought about trying to unload it next time I go to a show, but you know, I really would feel awful about trying to sell this to someone else.

I'll get a couple more 25 round mags next time and be done with it. I cringe when I read the "Made in USA" on the mag body. Do Americans not take pride in their products anymore?

Like you guys said, I learned this lesson the hard way, and I'm gonna remember it...

EDIT:
    OP, I did not have the *same* experience, but my problem was feeding. What I did to fix this issue, was sand down the feed lip, and now it seems to eat anything and everything.

If I can get to the point where it will actually run bullets through the drum, I'll update about feeding... lol I can't even get there. Thanks for the tip though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom