• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    IIRC, the range faces South into the parking structure. Doesn't look like they can make it much longer without purchasing the adjacent property to the South.
    I think you are correct. I'm not sure how 'woke' the county building officials are these days and the property is probably pretty expensive. But money shouldn't be an issue if they could send LaPierre to Kohls more often or fly coach.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I think you are correct. I'm not sure how 'woke' the county building officials are these days and the property is probably pretty expensive. But money shouldn't be an issue if they could send LaPierre to Kohls more often or fly coach.
    Haha. You're right. We'll see if another one plans on opening in NoVA anytime soon... I'm not holding my breath.

This guy (https://twitter.com/walkerlunn) actually wanted to open a combined range and gun store in Downtown DC (Penn Quarter) called "Bangin'":

No new news on it in some time, so I guess it fell through. Maybe he didn't have enough bribe money in the end for the DC machine.

"Hey guys. Let's go shootin' at Bangin'".... So much cringe.

Last edited:

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Prince William County to buy Elite Shooting Sports for police training

More Info Here: https://patch.com/virginia/manassas...as-police-training-site-prince-william-county

More Info Here: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...ining/65-b92dcf6e-27b3-46df-b9e5-7b2fcb1e3a53

Sold for $22 Million.

Prince William County said building a new one would have cost $28 Million.

That’s a bummer. I liked that place.
    Knew that this was in the works for a while. Greg made his money back (along with the investors/partners) He bought all of his Toyota Toys, any Bow or firearm that he didn't already own and will probably make every hunting trip known to man.
    This was our home range from the time that it opened. Prince William will make their money back pretty quickly if they continue to rent to local and Federal agencies. Greg had the Air Marshalls, ICE, Border Patrol, Army CID, DoD contractors and a couple of FPS security companies.

He also priced his firearms fairly, especially for a range.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Knew that this was in the works for a while. Greg made his money back (along with the investors/partners) He bought all of his Toyota Toys, any Bow or firearm that he didn't already own and will probably make every hunting trip known to man.
    This was our home range from the time that it opened. Prince William will make their money back pretty quickly if they continue to rent to local and Federal agencies. Greg had the Air Marshalls, ICE, Border Patrol, Army CID, DoD contractors and a couple of FPS security companies.

Looks like there's more to it. Just noticed this on their Twitter:

Sorry to hear.

I agree that the firearms were priced pretty well, and they did have a nice rental list with "try before you buy"/rental fee deducted with purchase.

Last edited:

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Looks like there's more to it. Just noticed this on their Twitter:

Sorry to hear.

I agree that the firearms were priced pretty well, and they did have a nice rental list with "try before you buy"/rental fee deducted with purchase.

This sucks, I wish the best for him. I've known him since 2002, when he ran the NRA Range. I'll have to make the ride to go see him.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Here's a Google Maps overhead of NRA Range:

IIRC, the range faces South into the parking structure. Doesn't look like they can make it much longer without purchasing the adjacent property to the South.
    Parking lot looks like it is over 100 yards long so there is plenty of room for a 100 yard range just put it above or below the parking lot.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Parking lot looks like it is over 100 yards long so there is plenty of room for a 100 yard range just put it above or below the parking lot.
    Perhaps the range backstop on the south side is placed such that they can’t extend it out further south. The range lobby/desk/restrooms and offices/classrooms are on the north side of the range and take up some of that space in the parking structure too. Guess there’s just not enough room.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018

Will he be selling off the rental guns?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Other stuff I'm going to miss: taking visitors from out-of-town to shoot at one of the best indoor ranges I've ever used, the occasionally great deals on Geco pistol ammo and generally fair prices on firearms. The shooting community needs more places, like ESS, not fewer.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Other stuff I'm going to miss: taking visitors from out-of-town to shoot at one of the best indoor ranges I've ever used, the occasionally great deals on Geco pistol ammo and generally fair prices on firearms. The shooting community needs more places, like ESS, not fewer.
    Yeah, it sucks. I liked that place... Mainly because it had so many lanes that it absorbed the crowd well. Now those folks are going to have to spread around to other places and it'll increase wait times at places I go more regularly. I hope some other deep-pocketed person out there is considering opening a new range, because there's definitely demand.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Only open during hunting season, the the CF Phelps WMA has a 100 yard sight in range, free if you have a hunting or fishing license. But it's outdoors. Pretty close to Clark Brothers.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Just received this today via email:

Dear Members,

It is with great sadness that Elite Shooting Sports will be closing its doors on Sunday April 23, 2023 at 9 pm. The last nine years have been an incredible experience and we want to sincerely thank you for your support, loyalty, and friendship.

The severe health concerns and focus on recovery of the Owner and Operator of ESS are the only reason for the sale. The purchase of the facility by PWC is not the purchase of Elite Shooting Sports. We are hopeful to resume classes, instruction, and even possibly another Range in the future. Our commitment to safety, education, and the shooting community will not end. We will keep you informed.

We want to see you in this last month! This is not goodbye. We wish you the very best and hope to see you soon. We have had some fantastic memories.

We still have many firearms and discounted merchandise for sale!

Come and visit us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom