• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I found an AR that is being sold by one of the IPs in here for $170 less at a gunstore from out of state. How do I ask the IP to price match it? I don't want to offend anybody. I have bought from this IP before.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    They won't because its Maryland and the cost of doing business is high, higher barriers to entry AND the market is smaller.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    In my opinion, you don't. Either support your lgs, or they'll disappear.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    If you are a regular customer, it certainly isn't unreasonable to ask for their best price. It also is not unreasonable for them to tell you to pound sand.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I found an AR that is being sold by one of the IPs in here for $170 less at a gunstore from out of state. How do I ask the IP to price match it? I don't want to offend anybody. I have bought from this IP before.

You could see if they can meet you somewhere in the middle to take the sting out of buying local.. There is a point where the price diff is big enough that it makes it tough. In a perfect. world we’d always buy local but sometimes an extra hundred bucks or better in your pocket makes a big difference in actually enjoying your purchase.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    offer to pay cash, also remember you will probably have a shipping fee and the transfer fee, so I would see how much that is, deduct that from the 170 difference and maybe a little more and start somewhere in that neighborhood price wise

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Unless your going to drive out of state to get it your going to have to pay transfer fees at both ends. Takes the “savings” away. Plenty of IPs just across the border for cash and carry.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just ask, it's a fair question and they should be happy to have the chance at selling you a gun. worst case, you buy it from the cheaper dealer and have it transferred in and your lgs still gets $$, without any working capital investment.

someone on here said it best a while back: it's each of our jobs to keep as much of our money in our own bank account as possible.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - Ask. All they can do is say no .

Self question #1 - Are you really sure it is exactly the same gun ? The exact Md compliant SKU ? HBARs are largely a low volume Md specific thing . Distributors frequently have high volume pricing on 48 state bbl profiles.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Ask if that's the " out the door" price? Which includes all fees and taxes. The out if state dealer may not offer that. Then you calculate cost to drive, etc. What gun are you looking at? A Sig716 or LWRC? Or some budget beater $700 AR? That profit is not there on cheap guns. If your looking at a big box outdoor store or retailer ,a small LGS is not probably gonna have the volume discount from a distributor.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    for a budget AR bought on gunbroker:

3% CC fee: $15ish
    shipping: $35 ish
    transfer: $50 ish
    tax: $30 ish

suddenly the $170 difference becomes much smaller.

just saying.

if its not a budget AR, suddenly the local price looks good.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Offer to pay in Cash, saves the credit card fee at least.

Card fee's are so low now , a good merchant can shop around and get rates
    down to 1.2% sometimes a bit lower . It's not as big bargaining chip now .
    In fact they mostly prefer Cards then have to deal with large cash deposits

Welcome to MD. bend over and drop your wallet

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I put $3k cash on the counter at an IP to buy a gun they had in stock and they wouldn't budge on price. I got it online for $400 cheaper after shipping and transfer at another IP. I gladly would have bought at the initial IP if they had given me something off, but not even a dollar on a $3k gun I'll take my business elsewhere and have. I'm an impulse buyer but at least make me feel like you are working with me a little.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I put $3k cash on the counter at an IP to buy a gun they had in stock and they wouldn't budge on price. I got it online for $400 cheaper after shipping and transfer at another IP. I gladly would have bought at the initial IP if they had given me something off, but not even a dollar on a $3k gun I'll take my business elsewhere and have. I'm an impulse buyer but at least make me feel like you are working with me a little.

I was at another LGS the other day and found the same AR. Considering that I have bought 4 or 5 previous firearms from him before, I asked him if there is anything he can do for me. He flatly said he can't do anything about the price. I walked out of the store and ordered the same AR $300 cheaper from an Ohio store even with expedited shipping. The AR is at my FFL now and I will be picking it up on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom