• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    OK, so this is the press I decided to buy to start reloading.
    I started using it last night and found that the handle has to be moved quit a ways to get a full stroke. The pressure didn't seem too great to raise the ram.
    My question is:
    Has anyone cut their handle down to decrease the amount of movement needed to run the ram up into the die? Or should I just leave it as it was designed? Too often I find myself trying to modify things to better suit me...
    Thanks, Ra66it.

Attachments

• GAG_90588-52508.jpg_2.jpg
      GAG_90588-52508.jpg_2.jpg
      13.2 KB · Views: 232

wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD
    You can loosen the bolt on the left side which takes pressure off the handle and slide the handle down a bit to lessen the stroke. Just make sure you have plenty of room so it doesn't hit your bench. I have the cast iron breechlocks and did this on mine. When I need more leverage when sizing 308s, I just extend the handle back out.

Sent from somewhere

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    You can loosen the bolt on the left side which takes pressure off the handle and slide the handle down a bit to lessen the stroke. Just make sure you have plenty of room so it doesn't hit your bench. I have the cast iron breechlocks and did this on mine. When I need more leverage when sizing 308s, I just extend the handle back out.

^^:thumbsup:

Have the same press for resizing. Above info is right from the user's guide included with the press.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Sent from somewhere

^^:thumbsup:

Have the same press for resizing. Above info is right from the user's guide included with the press.

That what I did with both my lee presses was to loosen it up and slide it down making sure it doesn't hit the bench.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    cant you just put more of the lever through the lever sleeve? looks like you can get a couple of inches shorter.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    That what I did with both my lee presses was to loosen it up and slide it down making sure it doesn't hit the bench.

Thanks. I only got a little brochure with it that didn't describe the handle placement.
    I'll just leave well enough alone.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The handle on my turret press has a little bend to it and I put the handle on it down so about 3 inches stick out through the bottom, plenty of leverage for when I'm loading .308

When resizing or expanding I rarely let the press come all the way down. I leave one hand on the handle and only lower the press far enough to remove the case and insert the next case with my other hand. Saves wear on my aging joints. I don't do this while seating bullets.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    When resizing or expanding I rarely let the press come all the way down. I leave one hand on the handle and only lower the press far enough to remove the case and insert the next case with my other hand. Saves wear on my aging joints. I don't do this while seating bullets.

:thumbsup: Same here.

OP, you could make a shorter handle rod and keep the original rod as a spare for when you need the leverage.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Thanks everyone.
    I think I found another solution. My 10 year old thinks running the press is the coolest thing ever! I just set the dies then hand him the shells it takes care of its self! Haha

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Thanks. I only got a little brochure with it that didn't describe the handle placement.
    I'll just leave well enough alone.

Comment concerning moving the lever is in the BEFORE YOU START LOADING section, first paragraph beginning INSTALL. Very last sentence. Very easy to miss!

But, letting the youngster do the resizing works for me too! Going to have to break in the grandson!:D

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Comment concerning moving the lever is in the BEFORE YOU START LOADING section, first paragraph beginning INSTALL. Very last sentence. Very easy to miss!

But, letting the youngster do the resizing works for me too! Going to have to break in the grandson!:D

I'll have to check it again. You know how men are with instructions... We read just enough to make us dangerous. :innocent0

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Just a thought -

IF you really want to reduce your 'throw' length/distance, make/bend a new handle. (I wouldn't destroy the original!)

I 'bent' a new handle and put it on your photo.
    I intentionally put the new 'bend' in front of the press, so that you could more readily see what I was talking about.

Put the bend high enough to go over your loading bench.
    When the ram is at the top of the stroke, your lever/arm shouldn't be as low as the factory lever/arm is.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Just a thought -

IF you really want to reduce your 'throw' length/distance, make/bend a new handle. (I wouldn't destroy the original!)

I intentionally put the new 'bend' in front of the press, so that you could more readily see what I was talking about.

When the ram is at the top of the stroke, your lever/arm shouldn't be as low as the factory lever/arm is.

+1 on this, but make certain that your not introducing an inferior tensile strength material expecially with making the bends, by adding the bends you are creating additional flex points that may or may not affect the downward force that your applying. And doing this may actually make for more work and less reliable seating.

Personally on my old press before i sold it, i had an old Hurst T handle on mine and it allowed a bit more dexterity to the operation. I Imagine if you got the hurst pistol grip you could shorten the throw of the handle accordingly.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Just a thought -

i like it! I'll have to see what kind of bar stock i have to work with, or get.
    hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom