Preparing for dog attacks--pay attention!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What are the legal ramifications of killing someone else's dog in a dog park?
    Dog parks seem gross, too much poop/grass ratio.
    I can’t speak to a dog park, but Howard county the only people who can legally shoot a dog are LE. Didn’t matter if the dog is attacking your dog, or chasing your horse. You might get away in defense of human life.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Just pulled my deer cams from the woods yesterday. I have several pics of a group of 3 feral dogs roaming our property. This is my parents place where we frequently visit/hunt and where our 12yo son often plays outside by himself. No neighbor within a 2 mile radius claims any of the dogs in the pics, thus the feral tag. We're making plans to rectify this situation by whatever means necessary. Not gonna live in fear of ANY wild animal.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    There are the type of dogs that will let you know that they are going to bite you and there are the type of dogs that will turn on you without any warning. I received a bite from a dog that gave no warning. Needless to say we got rid of that dog.
    I know a couple that keeps a dog, his name is Archie. Archie will bite their four year old daughter so they keep them separate. This is a problematic dog. Needs to be dealt with by either rehoming or put to sleep.

BumblebeeSnek

Oct 2, 2020
    Cockeysville
    When I lived in TX, I used to take my Boston Terrier to a dog park, but after he got ganged up on by 5 dogs and me jumping in to break it up with the clueless owners nowhere to be found I never went back. I also heard stories of dogs killed in dog fights there (not to mention the diseases they can pick up). It's always very risky. I'm always paranoid about walking him on a leash at other parks but we tend to go to parks that require dogs on a leash or rarely have people walking their dogs at all.
    Personally I hate pit-type dogs, they have brains wired to eliminate threats, you can't deny the fact of what they were bred for or the sketchy history of the ones in shelters. No amount of training can defuse past trauma in the shelter ones and they're well-known to turn without warning.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    My MIL was bitten by a dog on a leash. Dude playing sidewalk chicken with his dog. The same owner who is apologetic for their dog biting you, are the same ones who will call the cops or willing to fight you for hitting their dog in self defense.

Sucks your dog was injured. Hopefully the guy whose dog did the damage is not like, nothing serious it was only $300 for a vet visit.

Now letting my blood cooling off

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    Monday my dog was attacked by another dog some jackass allowed off leash at our local park. My dog was leashed, his was not. The other dog was 50 feet away moving at full speed before I noticed it. By the time I reached down to shorten the lead line on my dog the other dog clamped onto my dog's head. Luckily where he bit my dog was the hardest part of her head so the bites were only superficial. I finally got my dog's leash shortened and tried kicking the other dog off of mine but it wasn't deterred--It was some kind of pitty mix. The other owner finally got their dog under control and separated. I got his name and number and he said he would pay for vet fees. Yesterday we took my dog to the vet and $330 later she is on the mend. I did get the money from him.

I'm thinking about this incident post-analysis. I wasn't paying attention so my reaction was slow. This could have easily also been an attack on me or a more serious attack on my dog. I had an ear bud in listening to a podcast and just enjoying the time in nature. I totally was not in an attentive reaction mindset. I was armed and also had pepper spray with me. The other dog was moving so fast I did not have enough time for me to grab either my gun or spray by the time I realized it was there. I'm going to start looking for a better way to carry my spray so I can get to it faster. Moral of the story for me is to pay attention, even when out enjoying nature. There's also coyotes out here. A friend we were talking with said they often walk in that same park with their dog and have seen coyotes recently. There was also a murder in this park in 2018. I need to do a better job of awareness when in public.

Please keep your dog on a leash and pay attention.
    My solution is one of these in each front pocket.

Attachments

• 0127191028.jpg
      0127191028.jpg
      225.4 KB · Views: 49

Pax

Feb 11, 2023
    Sparks Maryland
    The bottom line is that dog parks are always a huge risk and I have no use for them. I have raised and trained working line German Shepherds for IPO/Schutzhund. I have spent a lot of time in understanding that most dog owners are limited in their experience and dog parks can bring that to a head.

I understand that a lot of dog owners think there dogs need interact with other dogs for what they think is good for them. Socialization of a dog to other dogs does not require direct interaction but "non contact" exposure from 8 weeks and on. You watch your puppy and their reaction. If you are seeing no fear behaviors then reward and move on. If the Pup is unsure and pulling away, then don't force them! Change the scene so that fear does embed in their head. Try again slowly until the pup is comfortable.

Next is exercise. If you bring a dog to a dog park after hours of being cooped up, some of them are keyed up to the point that they could create a energy level that sets other dogs off. Exercise such as a good walk can take that edge off as well as allow you to bond and work on obedience, which they need every day but also may prevent you dog from being too keyed up.

Most people get a dog for all that's great aspects about having one, but don't understand the small things you can do to avoid issues. The other thing that makes me crazy is getting a dog that may be beyond the owners ability both from a time devoted as well as understanding the traits of a breed/dog. I truly understand that things happen but a lot of dog disasters could be avoided.

Thanks for listening.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The bottom line is that dog parks are always a huge risk and I have no use for them. I have raised and trained working line German Shepherds for IPO/Schutzhund. I have spent a lot of time in understanding that most dog owners are limited in their experience and dog parks can bring that to a head.

I understand that a lot of dog owners think there dogs need interact with other dogs for what they think is good for them. Socialization of a dog to other dogs does not require direct interaction but "non contact" exposure from 8 weeks and on. You watch your puppy and their reaction. If you are seeing no fear behaviors then reward and move on. If the Pup is unsure and pulling away, then don't force them! Change the scene so that fear does embed in their head. Try again slowly until the pup is comfortable.

Next is exercise. If you bring a dog to a dog park after hours of being cooped up, some of them are keyed up to the point that they could create a energy level that sets other dogs off. Exercise such as a good walk can take that edge off as well as allow you to bond and work on obedience, which they need every day but also may prevent you dog from being too keyed up.

Most people get a dog for all that's great aspects about having one, but don't understand the small things you can do to avoid issues. The other thing that makes me crazy is getting a dog that may be beyond the owners ability both from a time devoted as well as understanding the traits of a breed/dog. I truly understand that things happen but a lot of dog disasters could be avoided.

Thanks for listening.
    Thanks. As a non-dog expert this is a welcome information download that reinforces my layman's suspicions just observing owners handling their dogs.

My information is all second hand from a couple of handlers I know.

Sirex